Plot Bunnies

Alyssa groaned when Mika entered her office but she quickly kept her expression blank as she stood up.

"Good morning, Ms. Reyes," she said.

"Way too formal, Ly," Mika replied with a seductive smile.

It didn't help that Mika was wearing a red, body-fitting dress that showed off her long legs and her curves. But after years of keeping Mika away, Alyssa had already almost perfected her nonchalant demeanor.

"This visit is a business matter, I presume, so I think formalities should be observed."

Mika rolled her eyes.

"Don't you know business and pleasure go hand in hand, Ly?"

Mika started walking towards Alyssa. Alyssa sighed as she prepared herself for whatever attempt Mika was about make.

Alyssa wasn't wrong. Mika stood way too close to her and brushed off imaginary dirt from Alyssa's shoulder before letting her touch linger.

Alyssa smirked as she took Mika's hand firmly.

"You have it all wrong, Ms. Reyes. It's don't mix your business with pleasure. Besides, I've never associated the word pleasure with you," Alyssa lied.

She saw the hurt that passed Mika's eyes as she pulled her hand back.

"You can be such a bitch, Ly. And you can lie all you want Ly but we both know you like me, too."

Mika smirked as she walked back to the front of her desk.

Mika picked up the folder Alyssa didn't even realize Mika put on her desk.

"That's a notice. Either you build better fences for your horses or the next time they cross our land, it's ours."

Alyssa sighed. Of all troubles, troubles with the Reyes family was her least favorite.

"I'll have this taken care of."

Mika shrugged.

"Well, that's that. Now can we talk about a personal matter?"

"I don't think we have anything to talk about," Alyssa said dismissively.

Mika ignored her attitude.

"Birthday na ni Lola Linda next week," Mika said, talking about Alyssa's grandmother. "She invited."

That time, Alyssa couldn't keep letting out an audible groan. Sometimes, she can't believe her family.

"What does your grandfather have to say about that?" Alyssa asked spitefully.

"Of course, he doesn't want me to go. To him, every time I go to your ranch, there's a chance I'm not coming back out without an injury or something."

Alyssa rolled her eyes.

"Unfortunately, you have always been welcome to our villa. Our family keep the kids out of family grudges, afterall. I can't say the same for your family."

"I'm no longer a kid, Alyssa, and so are you. And besides, it's that bad attitude of yours that my family doesn't like. Oh, and the fact that your grandpa cut off my grandpa's hand over a piece of land."

It was Alyssa's turn to roll her eyes. It wasn't some piece of land. It was a huge part of the island that their families shared. But Alyssa refused to argue.

"Whatever. If I were you, I'd follow your grandpa. Plus, I don't want you following me around like a lost puppy on that day."

Once again, hurt crossed Mika's eyes. Alyssa steeled her heart not to feel guilty. It was for their own good.