Date

"Al, baby, let's make this the perfect date for our family, okay?" Alyssa said.

Al smiled. 

Of course, his Mom would always outdoes herself just to make his Mama happy, he thought.

 Month's ago, Alyssa already ordered that Ally's would be closed to public for Valentine's day, despite being the day there were lots of customers. Ally's and Ally's best tasting pancakes would be exclusively available to their family.

With the help from his Mom and a few staff of Ally's, Al set to finish preparing the place. Flowers, balloons made to look like Mikasa ball with "MikaSa" written on it all over the place, and an ice cream bar were set up strategically.

"Baby, as we've planned, you will be making the pancakes tonight. You remember what I taught you?" Al could see the reassuring smile of his Mom. 

He nodded. Even though he's just 10 years old, Alyssa taught him properly how to make the pancakes the way his Mama and his Ate Ky love it. 

But Alyssa still guided him step by step and gave him words of encouragement. He prepared a lot of pancakes because everyone of them in their family loves pancakes. The four of them combined, they could make Ally's go bankrupt. Al laughed at his own thoughts.

When the time came, Al called his Mama.

"Mama," he said. "Are you almost here?"

"Yes, baby, we're just parking the car," Mika answered softly.

A reminder from his Mom to fix his clothes popped in Al's head and he did his best to look presentable and handsome. 

Al smiled. It was the kind of smile that showed the dimples under his eyes, the same kind that people saw in his Mom's face, the same kind that his Mama and his sister go crazy for. Then he went out and waited for the two most important women on his and Alyssa's life. 

Two women who looked alike came into Al's line of vision. Both of them were smiling at him. Al smiled back, smiled even wider.

"What's this, Baby?" Mika asked once they were in front of him and was looking at the restaurant behind him. 

"Let's go inside na lang, Ma," Ky said. "I can smell pancakes."

They all laughed.

Al offered his arms and his Mama and Ate took each side. 

He saw the wonder and amazement reflect in their eyes. He felt proud and thankful, his and his Mom's surprise was gonna be successful.

They all stopped on their tracks when their eyes landed across the room. Alyssa was waiting across the room. 

"Hi, Babe," Alyssa - a video recording of her - was playing on the LED TV that hung on the wall. "Hi, Baby. Do you like it? Baby Al did well, don't you think?"

Mika's eyes watered. What she saw was Alyssa wearing foregoing the hospital robes and wearing the same dress she wore the night she proposed to her. Alyssa was pale but her smile showed nothing of the pain she must have been feeling due to her illness.

"I'm sorry, Babe. Since you're watching this, it means I'm with Him now," Alyssa smiled sadly. "I'm sorry I couldn't be your date tonight. But someone better promised to take care of you and Ky now. He will be your date."

Al stood in front of Mika and Ky holding two bouquets of flowers of all colors. He gave one to his Mama and another to his sister before kissing the two of them on their cheeks. Ky's tears were already falling.

"Babe, Ky Baby, Al said he would always escort you to your parties, events, and even on your 18th birthday, Baby, if you want him to, that is."  Alyssa winked.

Al nodded, unable to talk because of the tears he was keeping in.

"I want him to, Mommy," Ky sobbed. "Al would be by my side every birthday of mine and when he smiles, I know you'd be smiling at me too."

The tears Mika was trying to hold back started falling too. Ky answering Alyssa like nothing has changed made her heart clench painfully.

"Babe, I know Al and Ky would always be babies in your eyes but let them take care of you too. Take care of each other. And this Valentine's day, celebrate it with all the love you can give." Alyssa grinned. "I love you, Babe. I love you, Ky. I love you, Al. I love you."

"I love you, Mommy," Al and Ky said at the same time.

"I love you, Babe," Mika sobbed.

Mika hugged her children to her and kissed the top of their heads. She looked at Alyssa's smiling face again.

Alyssa might no longer be physically present but they will still celebrate every achievements, every event, every moment, as a family, as if nothing has changed. 

Alyssa might have left this world but her fire, her will, will continue living on through her son, her daughter, and her wife. 

I love you, Alyssa Valdez-Reyes. We love you. One day, we'll be together again.

END.

-

Author's notes: Because Jollibee. Hahahahaha. I wanted to try but you guys know drama isn't my strongest point. Nasaktan pa rin ako habang isinusulat ko 'to though kahit short lang. 

Long live, MikaSa and fam! (Tayo yung fam.)