World

"That's it, Alyssa. You've made your choice. I'm making mine. And I'm coming home."

Mika turned off her phone not bothering to see Alyssa's reaction. Alyssa could be barking mad or worried for her career but Mika didn't care anymore.

Alyssa chose to continue whatever publicity stunt she and Kiefer were pulling. Alyssa chose not to go to the U.S. when possible. Alyssa chose to prioritize her career.

Mika chooses to let her go.

So after 6 years, Mika's finally coming back to the Philippines.

Mika's going home.

With her son.

Their son.

-

They were young, in love, and stupid.

Mostly stupid, Mika thought.

They were 19 when they fell in love. Being both privileged enough to afford going abroad, they eloped and got married when they were 20. At 21, Mika had Alrin through IVF with Alyssa's egg cell and a sperm donor.

Mika left her career and continued her education in the states while Alyssa went back to continue her booming career there.

At first, it was alright. They made it work. Alyssa was with Mika when Mika gave birth to Alrin. Alyssa spent her vacations in the U.S. with them and it was enough. Until Alyssa's time for them lessened to the point Alrin only gets to spend a few days in a year with Alyssa. And while they agreed to keep their marriage, their family, a secret, Mika did not agree wity Alyssa's decision to follow her management's decision to make it seem like she was entertaining Kiefer's courtship.

Alrin was growing. Alrin was growing without Alyssa. And if Alyssa doesn't plan to be a mother to Alrin, then there's no point for Mika to hide her son. She has sacrificed a lot for Alyssa's career. She wasn't going to sacrifice her son's freedom and happiness.

"Mama," the small voice of her son got Mika's attention. "Is mommy waiting for us there?"

She swallowed a lump on her throat as she looked at Al's hopeful eyes.

"No, baby, diba this is a surprise?" she tried to whisper like it's a big secret.

Al's eyes widened and he whispered as well.

"But we'll see Mommy there? We'll be a family?"

At five years old, Al knew their family wasn't normal. And like any 5-year-old kid, he just wanted to be with his parents. The whole scenario tugged at Mika's heart.

"I'm sure your Mom will come to see you, baby," she answered.

Al smiled excitedly.

Mika doesn't know how she'll be able to protect Al from the pain. She didn't have much time to think about it more as the plane soon landed in the Philippines.

They were home.

-

Mika held on to the envelope she brought with her to FilOil Arena. After 6 years away from the court, not finishing UAAP, she didn't think people would recognize her but they did. She smiled at the camera when people asked to take photos with her but she tried hard to escape after. She was able to get ringside ticket for the game and she went to her seat and waited patiently for the game to start.

Alyssa has been trying to call her. She has probably heard that she's in the arena but Mika ignored her calls. She wouldn't talk to Alyssa until after the game.

When Alyssa's team entered, their eyes met for a brief second before Alyssa avoided her gaze. It stung but she ignored it. She kept her face disinterested and she focused on her phone, getting updates from her parents whom she left Al with.