Other Best Friend

I couldn't help but smile as I looked at my other best friend turned girlfriend. She looked so handsome in my eyes as she laughed and smiled as widely and as sincerely as she usually does as she continued making fun of our other teammates. 

I still can't believe that such a wonderful woman loves me. I still can't believe that we would find each other during trying times. Nonetheless, I am thankful.

I smiled as I remembered how it all started.

-

"Damn it, Mika, why were you so stupid?! You were the one who didn't choose her before and now you're crying?! This is your karma!" I thought to myself as I cried my eyes out at our dormitory.

I cried and hugged the pillow that I used to share with Vic. Vic moved out. She asked to change rooms because Bang didn't like Vic to be near me. 

"Ye, tama na 'yan," I suddenly felt a warm hug enveloped me.

"Ang sakit, Kimmy, eh. Alam ko naman na si Bang na ang mahal niya pero paano naman ang pagkakaibigan namin?" I sobbed on Kim's shoulder and Kim just rubbed my back soothingly.

"Masakit lang 'yan sa simula, Ye. Lilipas rin 'yan," Kim said instead.

"Paano? Paano mo nagawa mag-move on kay Mela?" 

"Hindi ko rin alam, eh. Basta alam ko, isang araw, okay na ako. Andiyan naman pamilya ko, ang volleyball, at siyempre, kayo."

I guessed I just have to take Kimmy's word. I should just focus on other things that matter. I have my family and my friends who will support me.

-

Kim became my roommate since then. 

And Kim, being Kim, was always jolly and a bully such as myself that my days and nights of crying in the room that I used to share with Vic became days and nights full of laughter as I share it with Kim.

It was funny how there was nothing really going on between us. We were even clingy because of that. I thought nothing of how Kim did not mind hugging me or holding my hand in public; how she even pulled me to sit in her lap when there were no other seats. Just like me, Kim did not think anything of it either. It really was nothing. It just became a habit.

A habit that I found difficult to live without.

-

"Ye?! Ano ba? Umiiyak ka na naman?! Akala ko ba okay na? Move on ka na?!" Kim hissed at me.

I wiped my tears but it still kept falling. "Sa tingin mo ba gusto ko 'to, Kim?! Ang sakit sakit!"

I already hate myself as it is. It just hurt so much because for the first time since we became friends, Vic didn't greet me on my birthday. I waited until the last minute but no text, no call, nothing came.

I cried for our relationship that seemed to have burned into ashes.

"Eh ano kung di ka niya binati?! Buong araw kasama mo pamilya mo, mga kaibigan mo, ako! Tapos iiyak ka lang dahil may isang taong di bumati sayo?! Eh putangina!"

"Shut up, Kim! Wala kang alam! Wala kang alam sa nararamdaman ko!" I shouted.

I saw the pain in her eyes because of what I did. I shouted at her. I accused her of not knowing when she was the one who knew best. She was the one was there for me since day 1.

"Kimmy," I said as I tried to stand up and reach her.

"Bahala ka na, Ye. Malaki ka na."

Then, she left. And I don't think anything has hurt even more than seeing her turn away from me.

-

That was our first fight. Kim avoided me for days even after I apologized. 

It was as if my heart was being squeezed when I heard Kim laughing and being clingy to our other teammates but not to her. Kim wouldn't even touch me even after scoring a point during practice. When there were no seats, Kim stood up instead and gave it to me. She didn't pull me to her. And it hurt. So damn much.

At the dorm, Kim wouldn't look my way. Kim wouldn't smile at me. Everyday was gloomy. 

Thank God, we made up.

Our story began.

-

"Kimmy, please, I'm sorry na. Bati na tayo," I cried as I knelt in front of her bed. 

I really was desperate.

"Tumayo ka nga diyan, Ye. Mukha kang tanga," she said dismissively.

"Di bale ng magmukhang tanga basta kausapin mo lang ako. Hindi ko na kaya, Kim, eh. Hindi ko kayang ganito tayo," I cried even harder.

Kim turned to me and sat up. I was glad when I felt her thumbs wiping my tears away.

"Halika nga dito," she said before pulling me up and I sat on her lap without waiting for her to tell me so.

I put my arms around her neck and hugged her. I cried on her shoulder.

"Jusko. Ang laki mong iyakin. Buti na lang mahal kita," Kim whispered.

I knew that Kim meant it as a friend but my heart started beating wildly then. It wasn't my brain talking but my heart when I said:

"Mahal kita, Kim. Sobra."

And Kim laughed bitterly which made me confused.

"Ye, pinapapaasa mo naman ako, eh," she whispered too low.

I guessed I wasn't supposed to hear that but I did.

"Anong sabi mo?"

"Wala, sabi ko bumalik ka sa kama mo at matulog ka na."

When I moved back and looked at her, Kim gave me a smile that didn't reach her eyes. And I knew I heard her right earlier.

"Baka ako ang pinapaasa mo," I whispered.

Kim's head whipped towards me fast and her eyes widened.

"Ano?"

"Wala. Sabi ko tulog na tayo," I replied with a teasing smile as I stood up to go back to my bed.

"Ye! Ano nga?!" Kim said loudly.

"Good night, Kimmy. I love you," I said as I turned my back on her.

And I heard her laugh to her contents.

"Mahal mo ako," I could feel her smiling as she said that. "Mahal din kita. Good night."

Everything changed after that. For the better.

-

"Iniisip mo ba ako kaya ka nakangiti?" I felt Kim hug me from behind.

I turned my head so I could stare at her. 

"Oo."

"Ayiiiie, kilig naman ako, By. In love na in love ka sakin, ah!" Kim said with a wide smile.

I smiled, too. "Oo naman, By."

And this time, she blushed. I laughed. Kim loves teasing me but blushes easily when I answer her properly. Gosh, I love her.

"By," I whispered. "I love you."

"I love you, too, By."

I felt her lips on my nose like she always does and I have never felt so loved.

END

-

Author's notes: MiKi as requested by reen_11! Next one will be Jia-Mika. #JiMik? Hahahahaha. Tapos MiBea. Sorry, guys. Wala pa talaga feels ko sa KaRa at MikaSa, eh.

Comments please. Thanksssss!