Phenoms

"Valdez with a block!"

"A quick hit from the middle by the Phenoms!"

"Valdez with an ace!"

"Back attack from Valdez!"

"The Phenoms says no to that straight."

"They won! The Phenoms ended the match with a solid hit!"

She looked up and pointed towards the sky.

The Philippines finally won it's first international title. She was crowned MVP.

Everybody wants to talk to her - media, opponents, coaches, teammates - but she couldn't stay.

"Reyes! Mika Reyes!"

She was already in front of her car when someone caught up to her.

She was startled.

"I'm sorry. It's just that no one has called me that in years," she smiled sheepishly at the reporter.

"Uhm, sorry. I mean Mrs. Valdez, would you mind if I ask you one last question before you leave?" The reporter asked shyly.

"Sure, go ahead."

"What would you say to her?"

She was shocked. It was so personal. Still, she answered simply. The world doesn't have to know the rest.

"This is for you."

She smiled, thanked the reporter, and left.

She drove until she reached her destination.

She walked until she was under the shade of the acacia tree they both loved. It was the place where her love was waiting.

"Hey, babe!" she greeted as she sat down.

"Did you see me? I still couldn't fly as high as you used to but I tried, babe."

She fiddled with the petals of the white carnation she brought.

"Years later and I'm still not used to hearing them call me Phenoms," she smiled sadly.

"It's funny, right? You were the Phenom. Then, I became the Phenom's wife. But it was too long so it became the Phenom's. Until the apostrophe got discarded because they're saying I'm just as phenomenal now as you were. But since I'm carrying your name and I always say that I play for the both of us, they didn't remove the 'S'. So yeah, Phenoms."

She closed her eyes and could hear her babe laughing.

"I miss your laugh, babe. I miss you. So damn much!"

Her tears finally fell.

"I'm sorry. I know I promised not to cry but I just can't help it. Because I love you, babe!"

I love you, too, babe. And I'm proud of you.

She smiled. She could almost see the smile on Alyssa's lips and the dimples on her eyes as she whispered that.

But Mika knew it was nothing but a fragment of her imagination. She wept.

A year after they graduated college, Alyssa was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. They went abroad to get Alyssa the treatment she needed. Alyssa was not getting better. They got married.

They returned to the Philippines soon after. And it has been four years since that fateful day happened.

"Babe, I want to be with you already. How long do I have to wait before I see you again?" she sobbed.

"I love you. I love you. I love you. Babe, I love you so much."

She kept repeating those words as she sobbed.

"Mika," someone tapped her.

When she looked up it was already dark.

"Time to go. She wouldn't want you to get sick. She would kill me if you got sick," Dennise, Alyssa's best friend, said.

She nodded.

Dennise went away to give her a few more minutes.

"Babe, I'll come back soon. I love you," she whispered.

She touched the stone one last time before turning away.

When they were inside the car, Mika took one glance at the acacia tree which shaded a white tomb stone marked with:

R.I.P.
Alyssa Valdez-Reyes
A phenomenal daughter, friend, athlete, and wife. You are loved, Phenom.

-
Author's notes: Anuna? I am having so much fun writing these one shots. Bigla ko lang naisip 'to. Nasaktan ako, beh. Long live, Mika and Ly!