World (Part 4)

"Mommy, why is Mama sleeping in a box? When is she waking up? I miss Mama," Alrin said with longing, hugging Alyssa on her legs, and looking up at her with hope.

Alyssa bit her lower lip so hard she drew blood. She knelt down to be on eye level with Alrin. She wanted to meltdown and cry but she had to be strong for Al. She has avoided explaining to him long enough.

"Baby, Mama is... Mama's not going to wake up anymore. She's already with Papa God."

Alrin's mouth started to quiver and his eyes started to water.

"Because Mama is an angel and she has to go back to Papa God in heaven? Mama said that's what happens when someone sleeps forever."

A tear escaped her eyes but she quickly wiped it away. Mika has done everything for Alrin even explaining death.

"Yes, baby. Papa God wants Mama back because she's one of the best angels there are," she said, her voice shaking.

"Can we ask Papa God not to take Mama yet? I still want to be with Mama," Alrin started to sob.

Alyssa hugged Alrin tightly.

"I want that, too, baby. But Mama is in a better place now."

Alyssa's tears started to fall.

"I want my Mama," Alrin cried. Over and over and over again.

"I'm sorry, baby. I'm so sorry," she whispered.

She couldn't console Alrin. Alrin became really reserved and quiet after that, staying beside Mika's casket.

Alyssa did the same. She was inconsolable, too. She didn't know how to live without Mika but she had to for Al. 

When it was time to bury Mika, Alyssa was carrying Alrin on her arms. Alrin was crying so hard.

"I love you, Mama! I love you so much!" Alrin cried as they closed the casket.

Alyssa's tears also kept on falling but she cried silently. She didn't want Alrin to see how broken she was.

Alrin fell asleep on her arms. He wasn't able to see the casket being put on the ground and maybe it was for the better.

When people started to leave and only her family and Mika's family remained, she finally gave Alrin to Miko. Alrin remained asleep.

"I just need a few minutes. Una na kayo," she muttered.

Miko understood and took Alrin away. He also led the rest away so that Alyssa was the only one left in front of Mika's grave.

"Babe, I... I-I'm sorry."

The moment she said those words, her knees gave out and she kneeled on the ground.

"I'm so sorry," she said over and over and over.

"If I could bring back time, I'll do it all over again but I'll make it right," she cried. "I won't hide us or Alrin. I won't leave and I'll always be by your side. I'll make you and Al happy, Babe."

It felt like her heart was being squeezed and stabbed repeatedly and she found it difficult to breathe.

"I love you, Babe, so much. I'm really sorry. I love you," Alyssa sobbed.

She kept saying sorry.  She kept saying how much she loves Mika.

She knew it was too late. It wouldn't bring Mika back. Mika wouldn't be able to hear it.

Mika was dead. Her heart along with her.

"Babe, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

Alyssa screamed her pain away.