Lips Of An Angel (Part 4)

I pushed my way through the crowd as I made my way to the bar counter of this club that Alyssa was supposedly at. I don't know why Alyssa was here. I only received a call from the bartender telling me that my 'wife' was passed out drunk.

For a moment, I considered letting the bartender call someone else instead because I wasn't ready to face Alyssa. But I couldn't because I was worried of her well-being. I still care for her. I still love her.

I finally saw Alyssa. Even though she was crouched and her head laid on her arms on the counter and I couldn't see her face, I knew it was her. I knew from the way my heart pounded as I laid my eyes on her.

I approached her immediately and bent down to try to shake her awake lightly.

"Alyssa," I called her loud enough for her to hear me in this noisy club, I hoped.

"Miss, may asawa na yan," the bartender said exasperatedly.

I stood up properly to face him.

"Hi, I'm Mika. Ikaw ba 'yung tumawag sakin?" I asked.

"Mrs. Valdez-Reyes?" The bartender asked, mildly surprised.

I nodded because my throat clamped up as I heard him call me by the name I don't think I'll be carrying soon enough.

"Sorry po," the bartender shyly chuckled. "Kanina pa po kasi ang daming lapit ng lapit sa asawa niyo, kala ko isa kayo sa kanila."

I frowned at that.

This club wasn't familiar to her nor Alyssa, she was sure. It was totally reckless of Alyssa to get drunk and pass out on such a place. Thank God, Mark, the bartender, was kind enough to look out for Alyssa.

I started thinking of how I would ever bring back Alyssa to the car. I think I could carry her but I wasn't sure.

"Ma'am, tulungan ko na po kayong akayin si Ma'am," Mark offered, probably realizing my dilemma.

I hesitated just because I didn't want anyone touching Alyssa but like always, I didn't think I had any right to be selfish towards Alyssa. She was never truly mine to begin with.

I accepted Mark's help.

Alyssa groaned as Mark and I took each side of her and put her arms around us. 

"Babe," Alyssa groaned. "Mika."

Pain and longing squeezed my heart. Alyssa, in her drunken state, looked for me. I must have mattered to her even just a tiny bit.

We started walking, pausing once in a while to adjust Alyssa. Mark also had to adjust the Alyssa's sling bag that he was wearing as another help. And all the while Alyssa kept calling for me.

"Babe," Alyssa groaned louder as we got out of the club. "I love you, Mika."

I stopped and almost dropped Alyssa right then and there.  I put my left hand on my chest to calm it down.

"Ma'am, okay lang po kayo?" Mark asked.

No, I'm not, I wanted to say.

They say that drunk talk is real talk. Words that come from your mouth when you're drunk are the words you don't have the guts to say when you're sober. When you're drunk, you give honest and sincere confessions.

So how can I be? How can I be okay when I wanted to believe that I am the one Alyssa wants, that I am the one that Alyssa loves, when I know I'm not? 

No. Our sudden separation must have made Alyssa feel guilty and our years of friendship before we got together must have made her long for me. Alyssa probably only wanted closure.