I. Quite Unusual

Probs to poor GetGinxed who is swamped with work but still found time to beta the shit out of this story :) Thank you, sorry for stressing you again!

Enjoy lads :)

//

"Oh, Mr. Chen, I wasn't expecting you."

Eddy gave Ms. Smith a smile, but it was a bit more fake than normal.

"You called for someone to pick up Quentlin."

"Well, yes, but usually... well, it doesn't matter as much I suppose."

An awkward silence followed until Eddy cleared his throat.

"So, can I see Quentlin then?"

"Oh, yeah, of course. Please follow me."

Slowly, Eddy followed the teacher into the building of the kindergarten, walking along the colourful halls only to stop at the small nursery.

"We had to take him out of the classroom, in case he does infect someone."

"I understand. Sorry for the trouble. He was feeling alright this morning."

"It's no bother. Your mate should just pay a bit more attention next time before sending him here."

There was an immediate stiffness settling down Eddy's neck but he tried to not let it show. He was quick to concentrate on his son, who jumped up immediately as soon as he spotted Eddy in the doorway, no matter his fever.

"Hi, little stormtrooper," Eddy said cheerfully after he had picked him up, with Quentlin immediately trying to hide into Eddy's neck, bathing in the feeling of safety that it provided for him. The school nurse had been minding him up until now and she was an incredibly un-fun person.

"Why is your omega not picking up your son?"

Well, that nurse was also a whole lot more direct than Ms. Smith.

"He is at work. And I have the time, so I don't see the point why I shouldn't pick up my son when he is sick."

The emphasis he put on the word son did not go unnoticed by the nurse and she clearly crinkled her nose.

Eddy had been through this enough times that he could ignore it entirely and simply grabbed Quentlin's bag to leave the building.

"Have a lovely day!" Ms. Smith called after him but he only did so much as wave.

"How are you feeling, Q?" he asked his little one while he put him into the children's seat in the back of their car.

"No good," was the quiet response and even though he already knew that he had a fever, Eddy put a hand on his forehead to feel for the warmth that he was expecting.

"As soon as we get home, we'll make you feel better. Promise."

Quentlin did him the favour of returning his smile, which made Eddy's grin only bigger. His first genuine smile today.

When they got home, he gave his son some paracetamol and placed him in front of the living room TV with a blanket and a juice, and it took no more than fifteen minutes for the meds to kick in and Quentlin fell asleep.

Leaving the door of his small office room open, he was still able to somewhat see into the living room. Happy enough for the moment, he went back to preparing the lesson plan for his conservatory students for the upcoming weeks.

Brett came home fifteen minutes earlier than expected, which meant he must have hurried back, walking, because Eddy couldn't pick him up with Quentlin being sick. He immediately felt bad about it.