The truth and nothing but the truth

"You look great today, Eddy."

"Thanks. You don't."

The barista starred at him as if he had grown a second head.

He cursed internally.

"I'm so sorry. Please pretend I have Tourette."

"You never mentioned..."

Instead of giving him a proper answer, Sarah, the barista, the one serving him for the last two weeks, walked away to prepare his order, clearly irritated by the scene.

Eddy noticed the stare from the guy behind him in the queue, so he drew his snapback deeper over his face.

He was positive that his cheeks were burning.

"Here you go, Eddy."

Sarah put down the two reusable mugs on the counter for him to take.

"Thank you. Have a nice day."

Quickly, he turned around, trying to not give her a chance to react in any way. He was nearly at the door, when all of a sudden, a wet, dirty cloth flew into his neck and he let out an unmanly shriek. This time, he had the attention of the entire coffee shop.

His face was set on fire and he didn't need to turn around to know that Sarah was the one who had thrown the cloth in his direction. Eddy made sure to get the hell out of there.

Unlocking the door to their flat ten minutes later, he let out a deep sigh.

He put his shoes to the side and was not surprised to find his housemate still lounging in the living room, instead of working like he was supposed to.

Brett hadn't even managed to move his body into a vertical position but was laying on his back, legs thrown over the end of the couch, playing on his phone.

"We need a new coffee shop."

Instead of answering properly, Brett just laughed out loud, putting his phone away.

"What did you say this time?"

"That she didn't look as good."

"As good as what?"

"As good as me."

Now Brett was roaring with laughter, which made Eddy pout. He considered withholding the coffee as punishment but Brett's puppy eyes were non resistible.

Actually, if he looked closer, they even had the shape of puppy eyes, making Brett's eyes look huge and very cute and...oh.

"Anyway", Eddy cleared his throat, pushing Brett's cup towards him, "coffee. And then work."

"You are no fun", Brett complained but was smiling and with a forceful tug on Eddy's sleeve, he pulled the other down to him on the couch.

"I am all the fun."

"Of course you are. Sorry."

When Brett took the cup, he made sure to squeeze Eddy's hand as a way to say thank you. Little did he knew that he made Eddy's heart jump little pirouettes at that touch.

And that smile, ugh! Why did Brett had to smile so softly at him.

"What are you thinking about?", Brett asked, sipping at his coffee.

"You", was Eddy's natural response, which resulted in a bigger smile from Brett.

He looked pleased, that damn fucker.

"Charmer."

"As if I could help it."

This time, Eddy was actually grumpy and annoyed.