That goddamn chair

Brett was sitting on the floor between boxes of books and music sheets and the good crystal glasses they never used and he was meant to wrap up photo frames but all he could do was sit there and stare at the arm chair.

It was a dodgy old thing, with one shaky leg and too many years under its cushions. Originally, Eddy's grandmas chair in Taiwan, it was first shipped with their family to Christchurch and then moved with them to Brisbane.

For a long, long time it was standing in Eddy's childhood room.

They brought it with them to their first flat from uni and then to their second, after they could afford more than a one-bedroom shack.

"We're not taking it with us."

Eddy's voice was ripping Brett out of his trance and his head moved from the arm chair to the door of their living room.

A raised eyebrow was greeting him.

"I know", Brett simply answered and went back to wrap the frames.

He registered the sigh Eddy let out but tried to ignore it.

Brett was still ignoring him when Eddy was sitting down on the floor next to him.

"We said we were gonna go full out and get new shit."

"I know."

"And the chair doesn't fit."

"I know."

"It's old."

"I know."

Eddy was poking him in the side, which made Brett look up eventually.

"Then don't pretend as if I am taking your favourite toy away. We both agreed on it."

"I know", and this time Brett pulled a face, "I know all of this but...it's the chair!"

The sigh Eddy led out this time was impossible to ignore.

With firm hands, Eddy was taking the photo frames away from Brett, wrapped the other in his arms and pulled him closer until he possibly couldn't escape, his legs coming around Brett's in a deadlock.

"I know we love that chair-..."

"We do!"

"..-We do. But we need to let go. We have already picked out other furniture."

Letting out a frustrated breath of air, Brett leaned his back against Eddy's chest, reverting his eyes back on the chair.

"It's not as ugly since we gave it a new cover."

"That was five years ago. And it still doesn't go with the new furniture."

"Why do we need to matching furniture anyway?"

"It was your idea!", Eddy exclaimed accusingly.

They have been over this so many times that he sure as hell doesn't want to pick out new furniture for the next three lifetimes.

"I obviously cannot be trusted."

For one second, Eddy pulled his arms around Brett impossibly tight until he could barely breath and pressed a kiss on his temple.

"You'll get over it", Eddy said and just got up to keep boxing their kitchen utensils.

"Heeeey", Brett protested but got nothing but a cheeky smile as a response.

/

"You are doing this on purpose."

For a second time on this day, Brett was looking up to find Eddy leaning against the doorframe of the living room, watching him intently.