One Day

November 2012

„I can't believe another year has passed."

Brett snorted.

"You say that as if we were 65 years old."

"You joke now, but we're getting there. Slowly."

"Snail-pace-slowly."

Smiling, Eddy looked into his empty coffee cup.

"You want another?"

He shouldn't. He was meant to be home twenty minutes ago and start packing, his families annual summer holiday starting tomorrow. But then, he also wouldn't see Brett in a while, because his annual family summer holiday was always after Christmas and not before.

"Sure, why not."

Eddy was just in the motion of getting his wallet out, when Brett waved him off.

"My treat", he said and got up, "as a celebration for making it to the halftime mark of your degree."

"Cheeky bastard. I'll get that club scholarship off you next year."

Bretts laugh still ringing in his ear, Eddy watched his friend go over to the counter and order him his favourite drink. How thoughtful, Eddy mused and grinned in his empty cup.

December 2012

"I'm so glad you could make it!"

Eddy shouted through the loud music, the beat vibrating off the walls. Brett smiled at him and clinked their glasses. It was the 24th of December and many of their mutual friends and half of Brisbane were out and about celebrating into Christmas. It was brutally hot this year but the club they chose had good air conditioning.

And then all of a sudden Eddys favourite Beyonce song was coming on and he jumped up in excitement, grabbing Bretts elbow to drag him away from their table and onto the dancefloor. Eddy was a tiny bit surprised how easy Brett came with him, as much as a party-goer he was, he was never anyone who would flaunt himself onto the dancefloor and let his limbs fly.

But here he was dancing away with Eddy, both of them making ridiculous movements and laughing away.

When the lockout time came around at 2am and the lights went on, Eddy wasn't drunk anymore but decently buzzed, a bit tired after an adventurous day. He didn't notice how Brett slipped a small box into the back pocket of his jean. Eddy only saw it on the next morning when he went through his pockets before throwing his trousers into the wash. It was a small keychain with a treble clef and a card.

Happy Christmas Eddy

He smiled and clipped it onto his keys.

January 2013

It was the hottest day of the year. No sane person would be out and about. It was a day spent shopping in ac'ed shopping malls or in front of the tv. But no, they had to go on a day hike.

"Why again?"

"Because I want to."

"That's a terrible reason."

Brett only laughed at him and kept on walking. Granted, they were mostly hidden away by trees, the sun not completely shining on them but it was still horribly humid. It didn't matter that Brett had brought basically a gallon full of water with them, so that they could stay hydrated, but it was still very warm.

"We have to be more active Eddy, before we're gonna be locked in the conservatory for the rest of the year again."

Eddy snorted.