Book III-Chapter 119, The Wedding Week

Comenzar desde el principio

They arrived at The Gage at 12:20 PM to find Miguel waiting for them in the bar. He had ordered a Margarita and the performers joined him in having one once they were seated at their table. They could tell that Miguel had no idea what they were up to. He was not surprised to hear from them really as the band members often got together in small groups as they had been friends since they were teens. However, he was a little surprised that they were doing so with the wedding so close, though. They talked like the old friends they were, and then Carlos said, "Miguel, we have something that we want to talk to you about. We remembered when you bought the house with your parents and then moved in to help them with expenses. We have always admired how you cared for them and looked after your siblings too". Prince added, "we also know that you have found the woman you want to marry. She is a real beauty, by the way! When do you intend to ask her"? "Miguel smiled and said, "thank you, Prince. She is really gorgeous, isn't she? I would ask her tomorrow, but I need to pay off my parent's house first, and then I need to buy us a home. I think If things continue to go well for the band, and I know they will, I should be able to swing it in about 2 years". Prince smiled and said, "but you would ask her tomorrow if you could"? Miguel nodded, yes. "Boy, do I know that feeling," Prince said. He remembered how he had wanted to be with Bella when she was so very young, and it was impossible. Carlos then spoke, saying, "we think that you deserve to have that opportunity now." "When we were just beginning to make some money, and you told us you wanted to pay off the house for your parents, we promised the Creator and ourselves that we would help you do it as soon as possible," Prince added. "We can now, and so we want to give this check to you for $60,000. That way, you will have enough left of what you have saved to buy that beauty of yours a really nice ring and the down payment on a nice home too", Carlos said, handing Miguel the envelope. When he looked inside it, Miguel could not believe it. His eyes flooded with tears. He said, "Oh, thank you, thank you, my friends, but I do not know how I can ever repay this." Prince looked at Miguel and said, "when you can, just help someone else." Miguel sat there in silence for a moment. He remembered back when his dad had needed money, and he had let him pawn his treasured electric guitar. These two friends of his had come to hear him play at the music store where he practiced his lessons for school their freshman year after the guitar had been lost. The next day, Carlos had come back with his dad, who had bought him a brand new electric guitar to become a band member. "Prince, I will. I promise I will". Every year after that, no matter how small, Miguel always made a sacrificial contribution to The Creators Touch. He would also leave a sizeable endowment to the charity in his will when he died. Miguel would never forget the kindness of these two extraordinary men, and his children would be told this story of who they were often throughout their lives. The men had finished their lunch reminiscing about their early band days and parted more like brothers than friends. As Prince and Carlos got back into their vehicle, heading back to their homes, they fist-bumped and, pointing to the sky, said, "praise the Creator." They went back to their homes and decided that they would pack and hang out together for the rest of the evening at Prince's place. In the morning, they would look at some cars to have here in Chicago. After both men had packed, Larry and Carlos had walked across their common back yard to Prince's place, and they ordered some pizza and enjoyed each other's company while watching a series of playoff games that were on Sound Cloud. The men cleaned up the kitchen and family room, and then Carlos returned to his place for the night. They would get an early start in the morning as the dealerships opened at 8:00, and they had a 6:00 PM flight. Frank checked the house and armed the night alarm system, and the two went to their rooms for the evening.

Prince's cell went off just as he entered the master bedroom. Looking at it, he saw that it was Bella. "Hi, Mama." "Hi, baby. I can't sleep", Bella said, sounding really sad. "What's wrong," Prince asked? "I don't know...I think I am just not used to sleeping without you anymore," she answered. "I will be home tomorrow, baby. Let me play something for you, Bella", Prince said and then put on a rehearsal tape of a song he was working on for the next album called Bedtime Story.