Book II-Chapter 18, Bella's Fears

Bella's Fears

Bella's POV

When Bella and Prince had arrived at the gym, the guys were waiting for them with the exception of JR who arrived right as they did. Bella wondered which positions each of the guys would play. Although, having been a true fan of the game for her entire previous life, she had her own thoughts on the subject. She was surprised to see her dad there. He had been an awesome player as a young man in his life on earth so her surprise was because she had not expected him but not that he was playing. She took a place on the second level of the bleachers and listened as the guys set up the rules and positions. They were going to play on the same team and would be playing against some souls who had played together for a long time. They discussed positions. JR would be their Center as he was the tallest and also had mad skills. WC would play the Power Forward Position and D'Angelo Small Forward, Dom suggested they let Prince play Point Guard and Amiir Shooting Guard. Dom would be the 6th man as although not as tall as D'Angelo, he had mad skills also and felt comfortable playing in every position excepting Center. Amiir started teasing his dad saying it was put up or hush up time. Prince just smiled and took to the court to warm up. They started shooting from several different positions. All were pretty good...but regardless of the position from which he took a shot, Prince never missed. Bella giggled to herself as she watched them warming up...she knew that Prince could really play and wondered if they knew that his ball performance would be equal to his musical performances, because it would? The ref who was a friend of Bella's dad called for the Tip Off and the game began.

As she watched the guys play she could not help but notice how handsome her father was. He was tall just shy of 6'0", about the same complexion as Prince with hair that tended to fall into ringlet curls when cut short. His eyes were hazel that leaned toward a greenish cast and he was lean but powerfully built. She had never really noticed before, but her dad and Prince looked as though they could have been related if it had not been for their different hair texture and height. They could both be quiet, appearing introverted until they were doing what they loved, like music or playing ball. Both men excelled at both things with her dad being a solid tenor vocalist and trumpet player although that Is not how he had earned a living. Neither were introverted at the moment as Prince was setting up some monumental plays and WC was making some exciting mid-range shots. The guys played very well together especially since 1 of them was playing as part of this team for the first time. The buzzer sounded and the first quarter was done. The score was 15 to 7 with Prince's team ahead.

As they huddled, Bella thought back to her discussion with Prince earlier about her life on earth. For some reason while she had communicated fluidly and honestly, she had been a little uncomfortable about telling Prince about her life. She was afraid he might see her differently and perhaps less positively when he knew how difficult and hurtful her life had been. Bella knew she needed to get more in touch with that...what was it that she was really afraid of when it came to her relationship with Prince? He had been in such bad shape when she first arrived in Paradise with his meltdowns and his own fear of rejection and abandonment that much of her energy had been diverted to helping him deal with and accept that he was lovable and that she really did love and accept him as he was with no danger of her abandoning him. She had really not focused on her own abandonment issues and there they were, definitely there, hiding in plain sight. She had been strong and loving for Prince and that is how he knew her. Would he love the woman who could become threatened and fear loss just as he did sometimes? Would he love the woman who feared that she wasn't beautiful enough to compete with all of the entertainment type women that had thrown themselves at him all the way up until the day he died? Could he handle her fear of his infidelity? There it was, the scariest fear of them all...his history was one of unfaithfulness to every woman he had professed to care for. She thought it would kill her if he continued that course when they returned to earth. What had she done by creating this risk for herself by being with him and him knowing that she loved him as she did? Prince was laughing with they guys...and looking at the bleachers threw her a kiss. She was so involved in her thoughts that she almost missed it, but caught his movement out of the corner of her eye and smiled and threw one back.