Chapter 14: Sends My Mind Into Comma

Lia's POV:-

Deep breaths.

Deep breaths.

Don't think about it.

I enter the school hallways and immediately spot Julian and Dylan standing near lockers. I make my way over to them and join them fixing a smile on my face. They start telling me about a prank they pulled on Alex.

I insert laughs at the right places. But I can't even understand what they are saying. My mind kept going back to the funeral and everything.

I haven't even said it out loud. I feel like if I say it, it would become real. It's stupid considering I was there the whole funeral.

I have not cried. I didn't shed a single tear. I fear, if I start I might not stop. I bring my focus back to the guys who are animatedly talking.

Soon both of them say, they feel hungry. I politely refuse their offer to bring me food.

This must be a first..

I start sorting my locker to pass time.

Again, a first..

I usually let my locker be the crow's nest, it meant to be.

"Hey"

I look up and see Luke.

"Hey, how was the wedding?" I smile at him, turning back to the lockers. I remember the photo from yesterday and feel my face heating up a bit. Apparently, no amount of grief could stop me from lusting over this boy.

"It was fun"he says, leaning against the lockers.

"I just wanted to check on you" he says lowly.

I take my books out and close the locker. I meet his warm eyes looking at me with such a tender expression. I feel my throat swell.

"I am doing good. I took my time and I have moved on" I force the lump to go down.

He frowns but says nothing.

"I gotta go. Bye" I walk away before my composure starts to break.

...........................

I lay in my bed as I think about the last few days. After the funeral, I had to sort things out with the lawyer. All of Nana's money and few properties was donated to orphanages and other charity works just like she wanted.

But what nearly broke my composure was, when the lawyer said she left the house in my name along with a note. I left the note back in the house but the words ring clear in my mind,

My dearest Natalia, 

You are my brave child. I never thought I would get the privilege of seeing my grandchildren grow, but you dear are my very own personal blessing. Do whatever you want with the house and live happily. You deserve the best. I love you.

I feel my eyes water as I think about it. I quickly get up and go outside as I know, I won't cry in front of other people.

I walk down an empty street.

"Lia"

I look up and see Luke standing in front of me. I give him a small smile.

"Hi"

He comes near with a sad look and lifts his hand, cupping my jaw. He slides his thumb over my cheeks and I feel something wet on my cheeks.

Then I realize, I am crying...