Chapter 38: Christ, We Are A Bunch Of Sadists

Luke's POV-

Today it's sadly ponytail day. I wanted to pull that hair tie and slip my fingers through her curls. I silently watch as Lia smacks Julian's head for whining over something.

"Luke, we got only one match today right?"

I nod at Alex. We were exploring the town after eating breakfast since our match was in the afternoon. Coach told us to roam around and relax before our game, but not before warning us to be back on time.

 Max was walking next to Alex, texting on his phone. My face contorts in guilt as I look away. If there is one thing I wish right now, that would be to tell Max I like his sister. The guilt's been ruining this trip for me. Because of this guilt, I am acting nicer to everybody. Usually I just ignored the guys.

My head has been giving me red alert, but my heart can't stop me from seeing that girl. Every strand of guilt vanishes as I look at her. Her ponytail bounces with every step, as she looks into shops through the window. My mind captures every expression that courses through her face. Curious, confused, realization, admiration, happiness. 

She was walking in front of me with Julian, while Dylan and Ian were bickering behind us. My heart raced as I heard her tinkling laughter. 

God, I am so smitten..

I feel like a stupid puppy, wanting to just follow her around. This morning since the elevator was full, she and I took the stairs, where I got my morning kiss. The way she urgently moved her lips against mine told me, she had missed me. 

I admire everything about her. She was kind yet took no shit from anyone, tough as nails, independent. Everyone knows she can take care of herself. The boys were also chill in front of her. Selfish part of me wanted her all to myself.

Her sneakers barely touched the ground as she skipped along Julian. She was wearing a faded denim jacket above her summer dress. I feel blood rushing south as I remember the curve of her waist, the feelings I got when I slid my arms around her. She runs her fingers through her ponytail smoothening it out. The thin gold and silver rings sparkle in sunlight.

She meets my eyes and I watch in fascination at the changes that overcome her. Her blue eyes brighten up, mischievously twinkling at me. Her grin widens, dimples digging deeper in her cheeks. Her shoulder lift in happiness and then she turns around. 

My lips involuntarily curl into a smile. 

........................

"Max, go talk to the referee. Just casual talk. Ask if there's anything you need to look out for" Coach quickly orders. Everybody was changing and getting ready for the match. Some boys glance at me as Max runs off. I ignore them.

People think, I would be jealous of Max. That I must resent him for being captain when I could have also been it. But they were far from being right. I know I don't deserve the captain position, because it's not that important to me. The Coach makes me work just as much as Max. It's not in me to disrespect teachers so I do what they ask, but otherwise I only play because it's a good release. But Max plays like he is made to play. Max is dedicated whereas I'm just responsible. 

We both were aware of what everybody thinks but we had talked it out and I had made it more than clear that I have no such problems and I am only happy that Max got the well-deserved post of captain. Max also knew I had my heart in computers and coding. 

I was done earlier so I quietly slipped outside to look at the new surroundings, because Ian and Dylan were pinching and poking each other and there squeaks were irritating me. I was not far away, when I see Lia coming out from a corner.