Chapter 44

-Athena-

Thirty minutes later we were airborne. Yes, thirty minutes. We were late of course, courtesy of me and to some extent Theo, who decided to take a longer route to the airport rather than the usual one. The reason being, man-bun would have reported to Amunet by now and her vampires will be all over the city on the lookout for us.

Thank the moon goddess we did not encounter any of them on our way and managed to board the jet with no trouble.

I lean my head against the seat and look out of the window, watching the city lights get dimmer as we begin to gain altitude. Now that we're out of reach of the vampires, my mind is starting to flood with thoughts about going back.

What happens when we get there?

Why is this Selene so important?

What is she doing in pack lands?

Is she a friend or a foe?

Are they going to question her, torture her, kill her?

A loud clink of glasses breaks me from my stupor. I adjust myself on the seat and take the glass of champagne offered by one of the crew members.

''Thank you.'' I whisper to him politely. ''Umm, where is Theo?''

''In the back room ma'am.'' He replies and walks away.

''They're discussing strategy back there.'' Mila, who I had not noticed until now, replies from behind me.

I turn to face her on my seat. ''How long have you been there and more importantly, why are we not in there with them?''

''I for one thought you were asleep. But we can go check,'' Mila suggests.

''Yeah, we should. Come on, let's go.'' I put down my glass and am about to get up when the door flings open and Theo walks out, followed by Charles, then Hudson, Sharon, Eleanor and lastly Cameron.

My gaze meets Theo's, who holds it for a few seconds before dropping it. He sits down on one of the long couch like seats and sighs heavily.

''Why didn't you tell me you were discussing something important in there?'' I ask him.

The four warriors excuse themselves and move to the furthest corner of jet and take their seats, away from us.

Theo pats the spot next to him and even though I was pretty miffed at him, I could not ignore the look he gave me when he called me to him. As soon as I sit down, he puts his arm around me and pulls me closer, closing whatever little space there was between us.

''You look exhausted love. I thought you slept as soon as we got in.''

''I was not sleeping you guys. I might have closed my eyes for a few minutes but that was it. I was awake. Just that, I was, uh- I was consumed by my thoughts.''

''Oh classic Athena, zoning out,'' Charles calls out.

''Excuse me?'' I quirk an eyebrow at him. Mila, who has her head on his chest, slaps it.

''Come on Athena, we all know when you get consumed by your thoughts, you leave this dimension.''

''Ahhh, I do not,'' I scoff.

''Actually you do love. Someone has to call you at least three times for you to snap out of it.''

''Oh I, umm, well whatever,'' I shrug.

''You were thinking about Selene, weren't you?'' My mate asks.

''H-how, how did you know?''

He chuckles and brushes my cheek with his finger. ''It's 'cause I know you.''