Chapter 38

-Athena-

The gala was a massive success. The recognition we earned from it was far more than anything. Nightshade was on the front page of every newspaper, we were trending on social media too. Come Monday morning, our office was swamped with orders. I caught a few people who used to have one or two client files, now juggling with almost four. And I just signed off a few documents requesting Leo's company to start production of more garments from the fourth line.

''Rebecca for you on the other line,'' Nancy's voice echoes through the telephone line.

''Put me through.''

''Athena, hi. Gosh, I would have come up there but, we're so occupied down here,'' I hear Rebecca's voice.

''That's fine, don't worry. What is it you wanted to tell me?''

''Can you start working on more designs please? At the rate we're going, we might have to release new outfits soon.''

''I think that's a good idea. I haven't touched my paints and easel in a long time. Thanks Rebecca, I'll start working on something,'' I inform her and cut the call. ''A few more hours at work and I'll be home.'' I mumble to myself as I reply to some of my emails.

All through the day I kept glancing at my phone, expecting to see a message, or even a missed call from Theo. I even checked and re-checked my volume settings, in case my phone was on silent.

''I've been watching you,'' a voice calls out, making me jump in surprise.

''I don't pay you for that Nancy,'' I roll my eyes at her.

''What's bothering you Athena? tell me. You've been looking at your phone a lot lately, are you expecting a call from someone?''

''NO! Why? Why would I be expecting a call,'' I reply defensively and fiddle my fingers.

''Cut it with the act,'' she waves her hand, ''just call him.''

''Why should I?'' I ask her and flip my hair back.

''The real question is, why shouldn't you? I saw you two at the gala the other night. Why didn't you just kiss him?! it was such a perfect moment.''

''Nancy!! keep your voice down. We are in the office for crying out loud. There are people here who are working, and you should be too,'' I tell her sternly.

''Stop trying to change the subject Athena. For once, just give your mind a break and listen to your heart,'' she says and walks out of my cabin.

After that, Nancy didn't bother me for the rest of day and I got buried in more work than i'd expected. When I was finally done, it was almost six o'clock in the evening. So much for going home early. My two bodyguards for the day, Sharon and Cameron were waiting for my by the elevator when I walk out.

''We thought you had escaped through the window alpha,'' Cameron speaks up as soon as I join them. Sharon, elbows him in the ribs and glares at him.

''A week ago, I would have, but I'm used to you guys now. Come on, let's go,'' I tell the pair and we leave the building.

''Did Theo call anyone of you?'' I ask them after a while. We pass the park and restaurants as the Cameron turns around a corner. I lean my head against the window, waiting for their reply.

''No alpha, were you expecting a call from him?'' Sharon is the one who speaks up.

''No, not really, I just thought he might have,'' I sigh.

I spot my apartment building a few blocks away, as the car swerves towards it. Cameron parks it perfectly in the basement. The three of us file into the elevator, the two guards first, followed by me. The doors are about to close when two teenage girls shout across the basement. ''Wait, wait for us please!''