Chapter 36

-Athena-

''Are freaking kidding me? I can't wear this!'' I shout, when Mila shows me the gown. ''This is too much.'' We have already done our make up and hair, Mila thought a sleek look would look good on me so she straightened my hair to perfection and did a perfect middle part then set it.

''It isn't Athena. It's a gala remember, everyone is going to be dressed in their fancy gowns and suits,'' Mila tries to explain.

''I know, I know but, this- this is too much, too much glitter,'' I heave a sigh.

''There is nothing like too much glitter, Athena. Besides, you will stand out,'' she winks at me, then runs a hand on the fabric of my sparkling white gown. How the hell did Theo manage to get his hands on this gown?

The gown itself is spectacular. It's snow white and the material is all sparkly and glittery. It's a one shoulder piece with a side cut and a thigh high slit. All in all, it's a breath-taking gown, anyone who wears this would feel like royalty.

''Well what are you waiting for? Christmas? Go on, put it on,'' Mila says as she grabs the gown and gives it to me.

''Fine,'' I give up. ''Help me, will you?''

She comes up to me and helps me put the gown on. Once I'm zipped up, Mila takes a few steps back and squeals excitedly. ''Ohhh you look so amazing. I can't wait to see Theo's reaction.''

''Oh shut up! Now come on, let me help you with yours,'' I dismiss her antics and remove hers from the garment bag. It's a black strapless mermaid gown with a sweetheart neckline. The bottom part of it is sheer and it fits her perfectly.

''Oh goddess, Mila, you look so pretty,'' I tell her as she walks up to the mirror and admires herself.

''Oh wow, Athena, this is so amazing, we're going to have so much fun tonight!''

I join in her excitement and  we start giggling like school girls when a knock interrupts us. ''How much longer are you two going to take? We need to leave soon, the car is on its way,'' Charles asks.

''Oh umm, not long. Like about ten more minutes, okay? give us ten more minutes,'' I shout back.

''Okay. Ten minutes Athena, nothing more than that,'' he replies. I hear him walk back to the living room then turn to Mila. ''We're almost done here, I just need to put on my shoes-''

''And jewelry,'' Mila adds.

''No, no, no jewelry. This, this dress speaks for itself,'' I say to her.

''Well, yes it does, but you can't just go completely jewelry free. At least wear some earrings then.''

I stare at my reflection in the mirror, ''Hmmm, maybe you're right. I do have this pair that I think will go perfectly with this gown.'' I walk to my dresser and pull out the box with the teardrop diamond earrings. ''I still don't remember buying these,'' I whisper to myself but then quickly diminish the thought out of my mind, before my head starts hurting.

''Are you done?'' I ask Mila, who is fastening a necklace around her neck.

''Yup, almost,'' she replies. I grab my pair of silver heels and with a little difficulty, put them on.

''Come on ladies, the limo is here,'' Charles shouts from the living room.

''We're coming!!'' Mila yells back. ''One last check?'' she asks me. I nod and we look at ourselves, then at each other. 

''Perfect. Now come on.''

As soon as we walk out, the room is engulfed in silence. Theo and Charles who were engrossed in a conversation have now stopped and their jaws are quite literally on the floor.