Chapter 26

-Athena-

"And that's how we ended up here,'' I explain everything to Charles while gesturing at my now ruined apartment. Theo listens closely while he hoists the door and puts it back in its position.

''Yeah man, that's not helping really,'' Charles shakes his head at him. 

''At least I'm trying . What are you doing?''

''I am actually helping Theo,'' Charles retorts. ''Come on Athena, let's get you cleaned up,'' he helps me up.

We walk towards the door as Charles dramatically lifts it and places it aside all the while side-eyeing Theo. I suppress a laugh at his antics before we walk into his apartment. A few seconds later Theo walks in behind us.

''First things first, you both need to shower. Athena you can use the guest bathroom. Let me give you a fresh set of clothes.'' Charles takes charge and announces.

After a few minutes he signals me to go in. Theo has already gone to shower and should be out anytime soon. I wince in pain as the hot water touches the deeper wounds on my ribs and back.

A few of them have already healed and the pain starts lessening. I make sure that no water touches the big wolfs-bane wound. I wash the blood off my face and hair, the smell of it making me gag. I make the mistake of looking down and see a whole lot of blood go down the drain, making me cringe. It must have taken me more than thirty minutes to get all clean as I hear a soft knock on the door.

''Athena, are you done?'' Theo asks from the other side of the door. 

''Umm no. I'm almost done though,'' I answer back.

''Ask her if she needs help,'' I hear Charles whisper to Theo. I catch a hint of teasing in his voice.

 ''I'm done!!!'' I shout before Theo actually asks.

I grab the clothes Charles left for me on the counter and roll my eyes. Of course it had to be his! Charles left me one of Theo's shirts and boxer shorts. His scent is all over the shirt. I wanted to barge out of the bathroom and give him a piece of my mind, but then remembered that I'm only covered in a towel. 

''Dang it!'' I curse.

''Everything okay in there Athena?'' I hear Charles ask. I could just imagine that annoying smirk on his face. Oh how I want to wipe that smirk off his smug face. ''I will kill you,'' I growl in annoyance.

''Not today you're not,'' he chuckles. ''Now come out, we have much to discuss.''

I groan knowing I have no other choice. I put on the clothes then walk out the bathroom, drying my hair.

Both Theo and Charles turn their heads towards me. I smile at them before taking a seat on their couch. Theo's gaze lingers on me for a few seconds, a satisfying smile playing on his lips. My wolf feels at ease with our mate being around and recedes at the back of my mind.

Charles walks to the kitchen and comes back with a plate of cookies. ''Those smell great,'' I say while sniffing the air. ''This scent, it -it feels familiar.''

Theo and Charles exchange glances before the latter places the plate of cookies by my side. ''Just try these. You'll love them, I can guarantee that,'' he winks at the end of his sentence.

''Charles.... I'm not hungry,'' I push the plate away. ''I was this close to getting killed today. This Amunet situation is getting out of hand. I need to get to the bottom of it.''

''We. Athena, we need to get to the bottom of this,'' Theo says sternly, looking right into my eyes. 

,I shy away from his gaze and shake my head. ''No. absolutely not. This is my fight and I don't want you fighting it for me. I can handle this on my own!''