Chapter 10

''Athena, hey...Athena, you okay? you zoned out,'' Leo places a hand on my bare shoulder.

''What...uh...sorry, yeah...you were saying?''

He arches his brow at me, confirming If I'm okay. I give him a subtle nod before he continues, ''Yeah, I was just saying that Amunet is our number one client, followed by you.''

''Oh really...I thought Nightshade was your top client.''

''Well sweetheart it was, but luckily for us you decided to take a year long break and then terminated your agreement with them. If it were up to me, you'd be on the bottom of the list,'' Amunet says in her thick accent.

How dare this vampire bitch! I glare at her but she seems unfazed and just smirks. ''Well we are on our way to the top and mark my words, I will bring you down,'' I tell her in my most professional voice.

''I'm already at the top sweetheart, good luck taking that away from me because you will fail. Mark.my.words.''

I'm left speechless at this and the both of us continue glaring at each other until Leo clears his throat. ''Now now ladies, as much as I love a cat fight, now is not the time for one....''

I break my glare off with Amunet and grab Leo's hand. ''We need to talk!'' I spy a narrow space in the back corner of the hall and squeeze the both of us in there.

''Once again Athena, if you wanted me all to yourself, you could have just said it,'' he says, a smirk playing on his lips.

I slap my hand across his face, shutting him up. "sshhh,'' I whisper and point to my ears. ''she can hear us,'' I mouth to him. 

''Okay,'' he mouths back and I realize how dangerously close we are to kissing.

''OMG!! I knew it! I knew there was something going on here,'' I hear Nancy's shrill voice squealing in delight.

 I close my eyes and bang my head lightly on the wall then turn to look at her. Could this get any worse?

''Athena? Leo? '' another voice says from my left. 

"Seriously!!'' I shout, looking up at the sky.

''What's going on here?'' Scott appears in our line of view and I see his eyes widening in shock.

''Scott, it is not what you think...'' I start. ''That's what they all say,'' Nancy whispers making me  glare at her in anger

''Look you guys, there has been a misunderstanding,'' Leo says and tries to come out of the cramped space but his tie gets stuck in my waist belt and I'm pulled along with him.

''Ssssorry...I'm sorry...'' I stutter and hurriedly untangle the tie. ''Look you guys.... we just wanted to talk about something so we had to come this way because of the......'' I start but Scott cuts me off.

''Ohhhh come on precious.... you are both young, neither of us are judging you, right?'' he looks at Nancy, ''Yeah...we ain't judging,'' she shrugs her shoulders and knowingly winks at me.

''Please...please.... carry on...don't stop on our account,'' Scott says as him and Nancy walk away leaving the both of us standing there awkwardly, not knowing what to do.

''Ahemmmm....so...what is it you wanted to tell me?'' Leo asks and I turn to look at him wide eyed.

''Not here, not right now. Too many prying eyes and ears,'' I reply and we walk away to mingle with others.

Through the rest of the night I avoided Leo like a plague but I kept my eyes trained on Amunet. There is something off about that woman. I know we are practically designed to hate each other but it's not just that. There is something else that can't put my finger on.