Chapter 43

-Athena-

''So neither of you are going to tell me who Selene is?'' I ask the two men again.

''Athena, love, how fast can you clear things up at your office? Charles, I need you call the people at the hangar. Tell them to get the jet ready and fueled up,'' Theo ignores my questions and starts throwing around orders.

''Okay, so this is what we're doing now? Of course, please, by all means ignore the female in the room. No one cares that she's been asking the same question for the past five minutes!'' I yell.

''Athena that's not it, okay, no one's ignoring you. But right now we need to get to Vancouver as soon as possible,'' Charles tries to explain as he fishes out his phone and starts making calls. ''Just go and sort out your office first.''

I look at Theo who has turned his back on me, both literally and figuratively. And is now on the phone with someone. I think I heard him say Ashton.

''Fine I'm going. Not that anyone cares,'' I roll my eyes and walk out of his office.

I grumble all the way across the street, muttering and cursing Theo and Charles under my breath. Who do they think they are, ordering me around like I'm some lackey. I just asked one simple question and they ignored me like I was a long list of terms and conditions.

Infuriating men!

As soon I get to the entrance of the building the security guard stops me. ''Ms. Athena, you cannot go in.''

''And why is that? I need to get to my office.''

''I'm sorry ma'am. I just know that I can't let you go in, but you can use the elevator in the parking lot to get to your floor,'' he says the words robotically, like he memorized them the whole night.

I try to side step him and get to the doors but he grabs  my hand and stop me. ''Ma'am please, you cannot go through this door. Please ma'am.'' My eyes focus on his hand around mine and travel back up to him. He immediately drops it and backs away. 

I take this as my opportunity to enter, when he suddenly removes his baton and points it at me. I notice a thin line of sweat forming on his forehead. His hands are also trembling as he struggles to keep his hold on the baton. ''I....I don't want t-to do this, ma'am.''

''Why are you not letting me pass through?'' I ask him quietly, so as not to gather a crowd around us.

''I don't know ma'am. I'm confused. I just know that you're are supposed to go through the parking lot. That's it, that's all I know, ma'am,'' he pleads. He has a look of fear mixed with confusion all over his face.

''Okay, okay,'' I raise my hands slowly. ''It's okay, I'll go through the parking lot. You can put that down.''

I back away from him slowly and go around the main entrance which leads to the parking lot. As soon as I walk in, a familiar feeling of uneasiness sets in. My wolf instincts perk up and I'm now on high alert.

''Something is not right.''

I spot my car parked in its usual spot and head towards it. A horrible stench fills the air and the closer I get to my car, the stronger it gets.

''I guess Amunet doesn't have any new tricks up her sleeve, so she is back to sending her minions after me,'' I shout loud enough for the vampires to hear me. Although they would've heard me clearly either way.

I take a peek inside my car, when I hear a whoosh from behind me. I move my head away just in time as the vampire crashes her fist into the car window. A second more and that could have been my head.