Chapter 21

-Theo-

We are sitted at the table munching on the spaghetti and meatballs that Charles oh so graciously made for us. An amused smirk playing on my lips as I stare at Athena, chugging vodka from a glass. I for one am glad she opted for it when we sat down for dinner.

She had just opened her second bottle and I can see the alcohol beginning to affect her. Her guard is completely down, she is laughing with Charles and seems to be enjoying herself.

My mind re-directs me to the memory of the four of us, including Mila, at Crescent in Charles' house when he last cooked for us and scolded Athena and I for making out on his couch. I look at Charles who is discussing the latest memes with my mate. 

I can't keep him here forever; he needs to be with Mila too. Even though he is the one connection I have with Athena currently, I can't be selfish.

I breath out a sigh making two heads simultaneously turn and look at me. ''Everything okay?'' Charles asks.

''Yeah man, all good,'' I smile at him.

''Hey, remember months ago when Athena saw you for the first time and insulted your hair?'' I ask Charles in an attempt to start the conversation regarding her memory loss.

''Insult? Seriously? The way I remember it, she actually complimented me,'' Charles replies, catching on to my play.

''In fact, and do correct me if I'm wrong, you're the one she insulted. What is it that she called you?'' he pretends to think hard while side eyeing her.

''Creepy guy,'' Athena suddenly speaks up. ''I called you creepy guy,'' she points her fork at me.

''Right! And as far my knowledge goes, 'creepy guy' is definitely an insult compared to 'hero hair'.'' Charles smirks, while air quoting.

''Oh right.... I.... I remember that,'' Athena laughs then stops, ''Goddess, it feels so weird to actually  remember something without getting a damned migraine,'' she whispers sadly.

Seeing her like this makes me want to hold her close and hug her tight. To tell her that everything is going to be fine. That even if I had to go to hell and back to get her memories, I will. But i stop myself. Because knowing Athena, one wrong move and she will pull her walls back up and push us away.

''Let's not try to ruin this,'' I mind link Charles. He sends a subtle nod in my direction as an affirmation.

''If you don't mind me asking,'' When did you come to terms with the fact that you've actually lost your memory? Because from the way you behaved when you woke up from that coma, you didn't listen to anyone, not Theo, not even your own brother. You.....'' Charles asks her. 

I start sensing Athena's uneasiness through the mate bond. ''Charles, I think that's enough. You're making her uncomfortable,'' I say sternly and glare at him.

By now Athena has downed her drink and reaches for the bottle for a refill. ''Honestly, it's okay......kind of,'' she laughs humorlessly, ''I did come here to talk remember?''

She takes a long sip of the vodka. Too long if you ask me. ''Easy there love, you're starting to get tipsy,'' I tell her, resisting the urge to snatch the bottle away.

She faces me and raises an eyebrow at me. Her eyes glaze and are now filled  with defiance. Oh goddess here it comes.

 ''Do. Not.Tell.Me. What.To.Do. Okay?'' She gets up from her seat and grabs the bottle of vodka then picks her empty plate, dumps it in the sink and lifts herself to sit on the kitchen counter. She makes herself comfortable by crisscrossing her legs then takes a sip out of the bottle.