24) When I'm with you...

"Mikey! Mikey!" a small British voice squeaked as soon as we stepped out of the car. I chuckled at the sight of a cute girl about Bucky's age running down a strip of concrete sidewalk towards us. Mike was a bit confused for a second but then grinned at the sight of her.

She looked like an average kid, and was wearing some average summer clothes. I found her accent a little funny since she looked more American than European. Despite the fact I thought she would have blonde hair...it was brown (and so were her eyes). I felt something was off by the way Mike was treating her but...I didn't say anything,

"Macy. Whatcha doing here kiddo? Aren't you supposed to be at Mom's house?" he asked while coddling the teenager. Is that how Bucky and I look when we're around each other?

"Yeah, but Dad said that Sis and I are going on a business trip with him. He says we'll be back by Saturday and that you need to pick us up at the airport." she grinned, obviously excited. Mike gave a sad little smile and ruffled her hair before letting go.

"Alright. Don't you have some things to pack?" he asked, raising an eyebrow in suspicion. She glanced at me, giggled and whispered something in his ear before running off. In that split second Mike's face turned redder than fire itself.

"SIS! SIS! MIKEY HAS A NEW GIRLFRIEND!" Macy shouted, running up the metal staircase as fast as her legs would take her. However, Mike looked like he wanted to throttle her and throw her down the same flight of steps.

"I'm so sorry. Macy and her sister...just want what's best for me. And as soon as they see me with a friend who just happens to be a girl...you get the idea. Please don't take anything the wrong way." he flushed, hiding his red face in his hands. 

"Mike." I grinned. "I think you're forgetting the fact that I have two siblings that both do the same thing. I'll be just fine."

"Heh, a-alright." he stammered, obviously bracing for the embarrassment to come. I chuckled, knowing that I could take whatever they threw at me.

* * * *

"So. Who is this lucky lady?" another British voice mocked, but this one sounded more mature. I felt my cheeks burn at the comment but was otherwise unfazed. Mike slumped over and whimpered in obvious humiliation.

"Ah. There's my new sister-in-law!" It giggled again (although this time it sounded closer). I watched in slight awe as a the girl from the picture, Rachel Knapp, walked to the top of the steps.

"Wow. You're a pretty one aren't you." She giggled, sticking out her hand to pull me up. "There's no need to be shy. If Mike sees something in you, I do too!"

"Rache. Now's really not the time for this." Mike groaned, once again, hiding his cheeks in embarrassment. She just laughed and gave a mischievous glare at me.

"Mike, brother, you wouldn't mind helping Macy with her bags would you?" She asked, giving her sibling an earnest smile. Mike glowered at her and whispered in my ear.

"Be careful. She can be a real handful." He muttered, leaving me alone with Rachel.

"I...uh..." I swallowed, feeling a little uncomfortable. Rachel just grinned and gave a sweet laugh that put me at ease.

"I'm sorry but...I didn't get your name, dear." Rachel said, waiting for a response,

"I'm Eleanor, Eleanor Bates. It's a pleasure to meet you." I said, nibbling my thumbnail in nervous habit.

"Ah, yes. The girl Mike has been fawning over for past few days." she giggled, showing me knowing acknowledgement.

"What? I didn't know about that." I flushed, looking away from her.