46) These words...

I bit my lip to keep from crying out. The countdown was over...and my life might as well have been too.

I was being hunted by the scariest creature I'd ever faced.

My only protection was a plain kitchen knife which I clung to for dear life.

Footstep.

After.

Footstep.

Echoed.

In.

The.

Hall.

Fear made itself announced in the form of shaking. I wished Mike could have been there to hold me still like he'd done before but...he was getting tortured to death.

Because of ME.

I covered my mouth and sobbed as quietly as possible. I didn't want Bonnie to come find me because he could hear me crying.

It seemed like forever. The pitch darkness and quiet began to mess with my head. Was he gone? Did he randomly decide not to come after me? Why hadn't he checked the kitchen yet?

BAM

Just like that...it was over. The force of the kick dented the thick metal door and my spirits.

Bonnie's shiny leather dress shoes reflected off of the checkered tile; radiating with malice. I shrunk into as tight of a ball as possible, letting the plastic grip of the knife bite into my hand. The shiny metal gleamed in the dim light and reminded me of what was going to most likely happen.

"KCHKCHKCKHCK." He clicked. His tone was loud and triumphant as if to say 'Gotcha'. One hot tear spilled down my cheek and burned my skin like hot wax. What was I going to do? It's not like I could go anywhere. All I could do was cower in a ball like a coward.

He took a few experimental steps into the room as if testing the air like a snake. I swallowed hard and sucked in a breath. Sometimes I wonder if he could hear my heart beating.

Slowly, as if waiting for me to come out, he began to search through cabinets and cupboards. Every time a pan would fall on the floor I'd flinch and hope he wouldn't pick them up.

Thankfully, he didn't.

Until he accidentally nudged the butcher's block over the edge of the counter. It tumbled down right in front of me...spilling knives onto the floor with a clatter.

I froze.

It was as if everything stopped moving. My heart, my lungs, the shivering; just stopped.

I stopped being Eleanor for a moment too.

I became an animal desperate to survive.

He bent over (which I was surprised he could actually do) and began to examine each one of the knives. With every piece of metal he would slide back into place another mental sigh of relief racked my body.

One turn of his head and he would see me.

After each one of the utensils was put back in its proper place I figured he would put the block back.

No.

He noticed one was missing.

My knife was missing from the block.

He looked up towards the door with his dark maroon eyes. They quivered in place as if trying to figure the situation out.

He glanced back down at the block and grabbed the largest handle in his hand. He admired the metal, watching the silvery sheen it cast across one's eyes. The thought of him using the sharp instrument against me, made my body shake ever-so-lightly.