17) ...just leave me alone?

"Jere?" I called, looking around the corner and into his room. To my surprise I didn't see him, but I did trip on my oversized sweatpants. With a mutter of a curse and shaky recovery I got up to glance at my appearance in his dresser mirror.

The girl staring back at me was the same slender girl from the pizzeria except she was wearing an oversized sweatshirt and sweatpants. The sweatshirt was black, labeled with 'Absolute Territory' in bold letters, and was so large it slipped off of my shoulder without the slightest provocation. The sweatpants, however, were regular grey ones that had been rolled up at least 5 times and were still too long.

"El, I'm in here." Jeremy called, waving his hand out of a little closet in his room. I chuckled slightly but went to check on him. Once again, to my surprise...he was covered in boxes.

"W-what happened to you?" I giggled, pulling a few strands of debris from his hair. He flushed hard but didn't say a word. We both knew his situation was pretty self-explanatory. "Heh. It was an accident." he blushed, pushing some ratted old boxes off of his legs.

One ripped open, spilling assorted clothes and items onto the floor of the closet. One of the items caught my eye and I reached for it in curiosity. "Oh, I remember this."

"What is it?" he asked, pulling himself out of some old boxes.

"It's one of our old walkie-talkies. I remember we used to be able to talk to each other half way across the neighborhood with these things." I giggled, letting my fingers examine the carving on the back. It read J.F. in bolded yet childish scratches. I smiled, putting it in his hands.

"Yeah. These things were so powerful that I could hear you in your house across the street. It was pretty cool you kno-" he beamed before bone chilling static could be heard from the speaker. The two of us looked at it in confusion before we spoke.

"I thought it was dead." we said in unison. Jeremy shrugged, accidentally letting go of the frizzy gadget in his hand. It grew ear piercingly loud as it hit the ground and filled the tiny closet with it's sound. We scrambled for it and picked it up, efficiently killing most of the static-y noise.

"Hm...that was weird." he muttered, examining it closely. "I only remember it having this much interference when both walkie-talkies were just a few feet apart. Wait a second..."

I watched with inquisitive eyes as he began to play around with the hand held electronic. What really scared me was when we figured out what was going on. The closer the little radio got to a certain spot on the ground it would fizzle and pop with a discordant melody of hisses.

"Wait..."Jeremy said, circling the walkie around the area. "It's right here but I- Oh."

"What? Is something wrong?" I whispered, getting on my knees like him.

"No...but there seems to be a a small storage space here." he mused in examination, knocking on the hardwood floor to receive a hollow sound in return.

"Really?" I asked.

"Yeah." he said, letting his hands rub at a wooden plank. To our surprise it was loose and Jeremy was easily able to slide it out of the way. My jaw dropped at the sight of a metal chest about the size of a shoebox in the floor.

It looked like it was made out of dented tin and seemed old with rusted age. Jeremy's walkie-talkie went into a buzzing fit so loud that he tossed it onto his bed to save our ears from the discomfort. I swallowed at the look of the lock which was also deteriorated with age. I was pretty sure that not even the most skilled hands could have opened it and spared the items inside without damage.