Epilogue

MONTHS LATER

I sat on the apartment's stairs feeling a bit lonely. A soft summer breeze tousled my hair and clothing along with the leaves of a nearby oak tree. Autumn was coming, and with it, change.

I squeezed my eyes shut, sucking in a the deepest breath I had ever taken. I felt like I would explode if I held my breath any longer so I let it go.

I let it go with the animosity towards my family.

I let it go along with all the grief and depressive sadness I had felt.

I let it go with the constant reminder of death.

I let it go like I let go of my humanity back in the kitchen with Bonnie.

I let it go along with my sister who decided to move in with Jake next door.

The result was a giggling teen with a shaggy haircut sitting on the steps of her nearly empty apartment.

The reason why she wasn't crying was because she was starting a new future this day.

I was starting a new future with someone who had been a friend, living a block away.

"H-hey! Last one, Doll."

He set the box down in front of me and peered at my grin.

"Well, someone's happy aren't they?"

I jumped up against him, wrapping my arms around his neck and refusing to let go. He didn't seem to mind this and planted a warm kiss on my lips. Another happy giggle surfaced from in between us.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

I think I was moving on.