40) I need you.

News Flash: I will be on a short hiatus because I will be entering a Wattpad contest. Sorry about that.

Warning (I guess): Slightly Mild Suggestive Content. Not smut, but could be taken offensively. Also, I'm setting up a competiton to decide the name of the second book I have planned. Check out my new book 'Calligraphy and Crayon' for more details.

The gravel crunched slightly underneath my feet as I stepped out of the car. Ahead of me was an entire apartment complex vibrating with the beat of music and cheers of inebriated delight. I had figured out that Mike would more than likely be there. After all, every young adult within a two mile radius had been invited to the party.

I sighed, feeling a mix of emotions welling up inside of me. It was mostly my fault to begin with. If I had just went with him when he asked if 'I wanted to do something later' everything should've been fine!

Out of habit I checked my phone to find a new message.

Jake Rueter - 1 New Message 

My stomach did a little flip at the memory of his last text inviting me to the party. I had completely forgotten up until that point and I did want to see him. I wonder if he wanted to talk to me about some 'personal things'.

New Message Opened From Jake Rueter:

I hope you're here Elliebaby. I'm waiting near the third floor. I've got some good news! 

Excitement tingled down my spine at the promise of important information. Maybe he wanted to talk to me about the future like we did when we were younger. I had always thought he'd seen me differently than all the other kids on the street.

Of course, first things first, I had to find Mike. He was more important than any conversation with a crush. Especially when he could potentially be drinking himself to death somewhere.

* * * *

Drunk and sweaty bodies pressed against me as I squirmed through the crowd. Occasionally a guy would stop to try to flirt with me, but it was easy to wave them off and keep looking for Mike/Jake. I thought I'd never find either of them until someone stopped me.

"Hey," a girl giggled, "you must be new around here."

I turned to my right to see a young woman about my age standing there. Electric green eyes stared back at me behind a few strands of straight black hair. "Uh...hello..." I flushed slightly, unable to meet her gaze. She seemed familiar but also...different.

She flipped her hair out of her face to reveal flowering rose tattoos etched into her sweet pale skin. A small smirk outlined her lips when she realized I was staring. "The name's Nicole but everyone calls me Nico. What brings you here, Sweetheart?" she uttered, taking a step forward.

I gulped and took a step back, my heart pounding in my chest. She was no doubt pretty but the look she was giving me obviously showed she was looking for more than a friendship. "Uhm...I'm looking for someone, Nico."

"Is that so?" she chuckled, leaning in a bit closer. "You look like the kind of girl that's out to try new things. You sure you're not looking for a little action out on this scene, eh?"

"Uhhh..." I gaped, unable to express how mortified I was at her comment. Was she asking me if I swung both ways? "I need to go..."

"Are you sure about that?" she pouted, lessening the space between us. I could feel the beginnings of sweat starting to form on my brow. "You don't want to stay awhile? I could make you change your mind."