[53] Part 1

Moments later I rushed into the hospital with Nora and headed straight for the VIP ward. It was a familiar one because Boyce was also hospitalized here, so I knew my way around.

Once Bridget saw me, she ran toward me and hugged me tightly. Her eyes were very much heavy. I patted her hair right down to her back comforting her.

Jake and Oliver nodded their head to me in acknowledgement as Nora took a seat beside them. After a while I led her to a seat and we both sat down.

There was silence amongst us. Nobody was saying a thing but there was an eye communication going on. Then I spoke up and asked about her condition. Ollie said the doctors were still examining her. I was really worried not that i cared about Mary Brent  but the pains her present condition was causing her children.

At that moment, I remembered all my encounters with her and how she treated me harshly, more especially the day I'd followed Bryan to the hospital when we heard Boyce was attacked and hospitalised.  She invariably accused me of attacking her son. Thank God for Bryan, I would have lost it that day. Or was it when she tried stopping from attending Bryan's funeral?

Mary Brent never liked me and it was pretty obvious. But what I did to her was what I couldnt comprehend. Why she hated me so much even when she saw my efforts in preventing her son from going to jail, yet  she hated me the more.

I didnt feel bad for her. If there was any emotion at all, I felt more than relieved that she was bedridden. I know I sound awful but what to do when the person that threatens your very existence is incapable of doing so any longer.

We waited for a couple of hours before the doctor and Boyce stepped out of the room. They both looked at us. There was something about Boyce's eyes. Fear and pain hid themselves there.

The doctor smiled weakly and gave a slight bow patting Boyce on his shoulder before walking away. Immediately Bridget who was still sobbing despite all my efforts to calm her down rushed at him. She shook him hard inquiring about what the doctor said.

Boyce held her hand stopping her from hitting him again and spoke. "She's going to be fine. The doctor said shes been suffering from bipolar disorder for years but now its degenerated to alzheimer's disease" Then he looked at her intently. "Did you know mum was sick?"

"No" She cried out. "How can she be sick and hide it from us?" She cried more falling to the ground but Jake caught onto her before she landed and pulled her to himself.

Typical Mary Brent I sounded in my head. What was Alzheimer's disease all about? Was she going to die or what? I kept calculating in my head.

"Hey. Are you okay?" Nora called out to me.

"Yea. I'm fine. Why?" Then I looked up to see that Boyce had been talking to me but I wasnt responding since I was lost in thoughts. I looked at him confused as he smiled faintly.

"I'm sorry I've not been able to thank you personally after yesterday's victory" he apologised. "Thank you so much. I dont know how to repay you ba...."

"I just did what  had to do" I told him smiling not wanting to sound proud or anything. "I'm glad it was a win at the end".

He shook my hand warmly. "But I will definitely repay you back. If Bryan was still alive" he paused like he had a flashback and sighed. "I would probably have ensured he married you because you're a rare gem" he said complimenting and hugged me briefly.

Okay. That looked awkward. First of all I and Boyce were not close at all. We've only talked briefly on few occasions. Secondly, Bryan was cold and arrogant sometimes but Boyce was worse. Infact I guess it ran in their blood because that was how Bridget was toward me until suddenly things changed which I'm still adamant at when and why.