[20]

BRYAN

The court room was filled to the brim with many familiar and unfamiliar faces. I sat down with Millie beside me. Mary Brent and Bridget were seated at the front row just behind the jury.

I scanned the room looking for Michelle and Voila! There she was seated infront at the defense wing with Boyce, Seven, Cassidy and Harper.

She looked so beautiful in the black pencil skirt and a white buttoned down blouse she wore. Her hair was wrapped into a bun and she put on a black six inches cover shoe. She looked so smart and radiant.

I’d never seen her appearance in court before and I couldn’t take my eyes off her. Just admiring she kept sending all the right signals to my brain. She did a lot of convincing to let her work with Barrister Williams and his team and I had no doubts that she will be good for the team.

Michelle though, was more of a cooperate lawyer but she had experience in criminal law and that was exactly what Boyce’s case was about.

The judge walked in and the court rose to her feet. The jury was already seated too. Moments later after the briefings, the trial began. Boyce had actually been arraigned before now where he pleaded not guilty. As the trial was ongoing, Boyce turned backwards like he wanted to get a proper look of the court room when his eyes met mine. I gave him an assuring nod of victory and he smiled.

Witnesses were called upon, all testifying against Boyce. Moments and moments of cross examining witnesses came to an end.

From what I perceived, the witnesses Barr. Seven Williams presented failed to convince the jury with their testimonies. It seemed that the prosecutors had very strong evidence against Boyce.

He then pleaded for an extension and the judge was lenient enough to adjourn the case to the next three weeks giving us just enough time to prove Boyce’s innocence beyond all reasonable doubts.

“Sir, what does this mean?” Millicent asked me.

“It means we’ve got a little time to bounce back. Obviously today didn’t favour us at all”.

I crossed over to where Boyce.  “Hey, how you holding up” I asked hugging him.

He smiled. “Doing alright but slightly disappointed. I didn’t know your girlfriend was a lawyer”

“Ofcourse she is but don’t worry, things will get better hopefully” I assured him. Just then, Michelle walked over to us.

“This is not the end Senator Brent”, she told him as he shook her hand. She gave me a side hug “Hi love”.

I kissed her cheeks. “You were amazing out there”.

My mother and Bridget came around giving Boyce a hug. Bridget thereafter turned to Michelle “Thank you Michelle” she smiled following my mother behind as they walked out.

That was definitely a start. Bridget had begun to gradually come around.

Boyce was finally granted bail prior to his next appearance. So he was allowed to go home but was closely monitored. Some of his colleagues who I presumed were his allies came over to meet him.

My mother suggested that Boyce stayed with her at the house. According to her, she wanted her favourite son closer to her.

“See you later” I whispered to Boyce who briefly introduced me to his colleagues before I stepped out of the court room. Michelle and Millicent had already gone out ahead of me.

The press and reporters were all over the court house. They would never miss their shot at a good story. Morgan led me away from their eyes to where the cars were parked. Jake was standing with Bridget talking close to his car. Michelle was engrossed in a discussion with her friend, Nora. Millicent was with her phone to her ears which meant she was probably on a call.