[38]

MICHELLE

My father’s voice over the phone made my heart almost stopped beating; he said they were planning on pulling out my mother’s plug today.

"What, Dad please tell them not to, I will get money for them", I shouted into the phone.

"No... It’s alright peanut" my dad’s voice was soft and stern.  Ot's ok baby, we will be fine.. "

“No!” I cried. “Dad, please don't give up, there’s still hope” I begged him.

"Listen Peanut, we've tried, am not giving up, I just want us to heal our pains and let mummy go and be in a better place please"

I kept crying and pleading. "Mabel is on her way, so I will ask you to come down too so that we say a proper farewell to her before she leaves, okay" He said and hung up.

I couldn't believe it, I screamed almost losing my lungs, how can I not be able to save my mother after all this while. I still hadn't told Bryan, he's got alot going on for him.

Maybe I needed to tell him now because I had used up all my sayings even borrowed some money from Nora.

As I sat in the room, so many thoughts flushed through my mind. I got up, and got dressed them dashed out to the hospital. On my way there I sent Bryan a message informing him of what was about to go down.

******

I hugged Mabel as I entered the room, she was crying including my dad. We did the group hug thing again and surrounded my mother’s bed.

My dad I Informed us that money wasn't  the main challenge here but that the doctors said there was little or no activity in my mother’s brain which meant that she was brain dead. So there was no need still spending money that wasn't readily available.

We all gave our farewell speeches and placed flowers on her, we said a prayer and then my father called in the doctors.

Immediately they were set to pull off the pipe from her mouth, Mabel rushed at them shouting and crying No, please don’t, you can’t do that, they had to pull her away.

I couldn't stand and watch because I was shaking and trembling so I walked out the room.

Few moments later, I saw them roll my mother’s bed out of the room while my father parked and arranged her things.

I knew he was hurting, but he had a weird way of showing it so I had to be strong for he and Mabel.

"Mab, it's ok..... please" I begged and comforted her.

My phone buzzed, I pulled it out of my jean pockets, it was Bryan

"Hey Cupid, just got your text, how’s she doing?”

I was quiet for some time. He called out many times "Are you there? Is everything fine with her?

Then I sniffled, "She's gone amor. We pulled out the plug..." I stammered and broke down in tears; I wanted him by my side right now. I wanted to hug him, I wanted the warmth of his embrace, I wanted to cry into his shoulders while he comforted me  but he wasn’t available. He had travelled out of the country.

"Oh my world! I’m so sorry cupid” he consoled me. “But why choose to  pull......" He exhaled deeply. "No, I need to see you, I need to be there right now, l'm coming in with the next available..."

"No, please don’t” I begged him. I will be fine and I promise to explain everything to you. Just finish up with your business there before coming home, I will be waiting for you"

I tried to convince him that I was fine, infact that we were all fine before i hung up, because I knew how important this business trip was to him.
MICHELLE