[16]

BRYAN

On Sunday before Bridget left my house, she told me that Boyce was transferring all his shares in the family company- Alpha group to my mother and she wasn’t very much comfortable with it. I was very furious to hear that. Why would Boyce not communicate these things to me when I was also one of the shareholders?

So I spent the whole night worried and then planned a visit to my mother the next day. Transferring his shares to my mother meant he was relinquishing his position as chairman of the company and that was dangerous for the company’s future. Even with his political career, he had still managed to maintain the name, position and status of the company over the years.

My mother was just the figurehead, a representative who was supposed to be answerable to Boyce from time to time. I know she’s mean and greedy and self-centered and controlling, so she wouldn’t do it rather she turned the table around and made herself the acting chairman.

I’d switched off my phone that night after informing Morgan where we will be going the next morning and forgot to turn it back on. My head was so full that morning as I prepared but I just hoped I’ll be able to get it cleared by the time I was done with Mary Brent.

>>>>>>> 

I stomped into my mother’s office without any prior information. I obviously took her unawares as she quivered in her chair losing her balance. Her secretary Ms. Greene followed after me.

“Bry…..an" she stammered for words. “I didn’t know you’ll be coming around today”

Ms. Greene wanted to say something but she raised her hand gesturing for her to go out of the office. I was seriously trying to keep my calm as my palms massaged my chin. She offered me a seat which I sat on while she sat across from me.

“I just got off the phone with Barr. Seven; the attorney. We will be having a briefing this weekend at home” she said crossing her legs.

“I’m not here for that but thanks for the information anyways”

“Bryan, please you have to attend that briefing so that your brother can make a court appearance” she stared at me.

I rolled my eyes. “Whatever. Speaking of Boyce, why on earth would he want to transfer his shares to you?”

“Ahaha” she exclaimed with a furrowed brow “I see that you’ve heard about that”. Then she stood up and walked towards the window with her back to me.

“You see Bryan; I built this company with your late father to what it has become today”. She spun around to look at my face. “And all I want is to see Alpha group advance in all spheres.”

“I’m sorry but the truth is, ever since your brother’s identity was released to the public as a suspect over the death of Alicia Lyons. The board has been on my neck.”

“What board are you talking about?" I asked confused.

“The board of stakeholders”

“What are you fucking talking about?” I yelled rising to my feet. “There’s no stakeholder without Boyce – he is the number one stakeholder in this company”.

She smirked. “I don’t think so anymore. They want Boyce removed because they feel his current position will jeopardize the company and put us at risk especially with our foreign counterparts.”

“Then why can’t he transfer the shares to me”? She laughed very hard hysterically with tears forming in her eyes. “It really runs in the family” she said laughing some more.