Chapter 29 - letting go of the past

Start from the beginning

Shakily, he reached his hand up to Y/n and held it gently, closing his eyes as he muttered softly, "H-help me," he spoke weakly.

The pain subsided, and he was back to the office again.

"Midas, you have to go!" Damodice called out again. "We were never meant to be together.. you have to move on. Be with the actual woman you love, please," she spoke softly.

There were some things that Midas could simply not wrap his head around. For one thing, why would his daughter and fiancé be in a plance like this, when they were never around on the actual island itself? Secondly, why would their eyes occasionally flash with a one or a zero in their pupil?

Midas stayed silent, swallowing thickly as realization sunk in. None of this was real. Damodice and Marigold weren't really there, they couldn't be. They were long gone... it was his heart telling him he loved Y/n, not her.

As much as it hurt to let her go, Midas closed his eyes and nodded. "All.. alright. I understand," he sighed heavily. He was letting her go, and it hurt like hell.

Damodice smiled softly, and Marigold ran over to Midas. "I love you, daddy!" she smiled brightly up at him. He felt himself tear up as he knelt down, pulling her into a gentle hug. She returned the hug, and it felt real. But he knew it wasn't, and that's what hurt the most.

Marigold pulled away from the hug earlier than Midas would've liked, and she ran back to her mother. He took one long final glance at Marigold and realized she looked much older than the last time he saw her. He felt his heart soar, knowing that his little girl was growing up still. At least, he had assumed.

Damodice smiled at Midas and turned, opening the door and letting Marigold walk through it.

She hesitated, then turned to Midas one final time, "I know you're angry at her. But you truly love her, Midas, and she loves you. She's always been the one, not me." She turned and walked out the door, and she faded into nothingness.

The door shut, and Midas sighed heavily. He turned around, looking at the computer screen which fizzed back on again. His eyes widened, "Is that... water...?"

"And that... worked? How long do you think it'll hold?" Midas head turned around as an unfamiliar male voice began to walk towards the office. Midas gulped, still having no idea where he was.

"Good, good! Everything is starting to stabilize here, nothing seems to be the-" The door swung open gently, and a man with a familiar face walked into the room, holding a phone onto his ear. He looked up and saw Midas and he froze.

"What the- how are you even-?!" he stammered, in a state of absolute shock. "Wait... wait, wait wait... can you... hear me?" the man asked. Midas went to answer, when his vision faded white and this time, he felt no pain. Or at least, very little at all.

He winced and tried to move, when Y/n shushed him gently and pressed her lips against his forehead gently, "Stay still. Don't move. We're getting you to the hospital, okay?" she spoke softly.

He groaned and closed his eyes again, exhausted from the pain from earlier. "...Flood," he muttered weakly. Y/n frowned, running her fingers through his dampened hair, "I know. You're in for a shock when you wake up, I'm afraid."

"Let me see..." he mumbled lowly, trying to sit up when she pressed her hand gently against his chest, pushing him back down, "Lay. Lay, okay? We're in a chopper. You can't move when you're this injured. We're almost there, handsome."

He sighed and closed his eyes again, leaning into her touch. As much as he still was angry at her, his body still yearned for her touch and affection, and his heart swelled a little more each time with her gentle touches.

Midas unknowingly fell back to sleep, even though he could still faintly hear voices.

"I can't believe he actually broke the storm."

"Right... I don't know how he did it. Now it's just... water. I don't know how."

"Bossman is smart, we all knew that. I just didn't think he was that clever."

"Me either, Meowscles... I hope he knew what he was doing."

Y/n laid her hand on his chest, and he slowly moved his hand to touch hers. She looked down and smiled very faintly, blushing lightly as she held his hand.

Meowscles turned from the pilot seat to look back and he smiled, purring, "You two are so close it's sick. Are you two okay now?"

"I don't know," she replied. By this time, Midas had completely fallen asleep, and could no longer make sense of their words. "I hope. I doubt he trusts me still or even loves me."

"I will bet you anything that's not true," Meowscles frowned. "I hadn't seen him that happy in forever then when you joined the group."

"Thanks, but I definitely ruined that by now..." she sighed, stroking her thumb across his golden hand. "I just hope... I hope he's okay."