Chapter 26 - the golden lie

Start from the beginning

Y/n only glared at him, waiting for him to continue. "You know me. I am a man of science. So, when Oro approached me to discuss duplicating his golden touch power so I myself could possess it, I knew I needed a test subject. So I found a young boy near the age of 14 to use instead, Midas."

"I took him in. He had nothing, it wasn't as if he was leaving anything behind. I started training him, and I gave him a proper home to live in. I saved him. And yet, he didn't see it that way. He tried to run away. So, before it was ready, I infused him with Oro's golden touch. He was 16. After that, he knew I meant business, and stayed with me. At least, until he was 18."

Chaos Agent shook his head and chuckled, "When he was 18, he met one of my other test subjects, Damodice. She was around 23 at the time, I think. I guess they messed around, and they tried sneaking out of my compound. She ended up getting pregnant. So, naturally... I had to punish him."

"He didn't do anything wrong!" Y/n responded, growing angry again, sitting up. She winced, but clenched her fists.

"So you think. He was horrible and ungrateful of everything I gave him. He thought he could just run off and leave? He was wrong. He refused to break up with her, so I did what I had to do. He chose poorly, and I shot Damodice dead." Chaos Agent stood up and leaned over Y/n, "Don't think that I wouldn't do the same for you."

"You wouldn't fucking dare!" she snapped, not afraid by his empty threats. "You should be very afraid, you bitch," he slapped her cheek roughly and she squealed in pain, squeezing her eyes shut as he cheek stung from the blow, "You'll be sorry you ever disobeyed me, and chose Ghost over Shadow." With that, Chaos Agent turned to leave.

"Sir, where are you going now?" Sorona asked, crossing her arms. "Telling Midas the truth, since someone won't," he chuckled darkly.

"NO!" Y/n yelled, "please don't! Please, it'll break him!"

"I told you, you'd be sorry," he replied simply, slamming the door shut behind him.

Y/n fought back loud sobs as she started to cry. This was how everything was going to end, wasn't it? Everything she worked so hard for was about to come crashing down.

And it was all her fault.

<><><><><>

"Hello, Midas," Renegade smirked from under his mask, "I suggest you sit down and listen to every word I say."

Midas narrowed his eyes and he slowly trailed his hand up towards his holsters, "Let her go."

Renegade pulled Rook closer and she squealed in fear, pressing his gun further against her skull, "Sit down. And listen to every word I say. Or I shoot."

Midas let out a frustrated sigh and moved his hands up, keeping his eyes fixed on Rook, "Let her go."

"Do as he says, Renegade," another dark voice says from behind Renegade and Rook. Renegade stood to the side and let the figure walk forward, and instantly Midas grew fearful, "Chaos Agent..." he muttered under his breath.

"Midas! It's been so long!" The black goop twisted to form a wicked smile, "How have you been?"

"I thought I murdered you," Midas growled, his hands balling into tight fists. "Murdered me? Is that why my mask is mounted gold on your wall?" Chaos turned to Renegade and Rook, "Leave us. Let her go."

Renegade huffed and shoved her down on the floor, and she whimpered in pain, then scurried away.

"What do you want, Chaos?" Midas crosses his arms, trying to keep his anger under control so he didn't kill him right on the spot. Though, secretly, Midas wanted nothing more than to do just that.