THIRTY SIX

A/N: ⚠️TRIGGER WARNING⚠️
Mentions of suicide in this chapter. If you ever need anyone to talk to I am here
Love you all

━━ ☆ ★ ☆ ━━
LOSS
━━ ☆ ★ ☆ ━━

"What's the plan? Broad strokes." Kie shouted as they all ran up to the wired fence.

Atlanta stood in front of JJ, his hands linked with hers. He gave her hand a light squeeze to say he was still there with her.

"I don't think we got that far." John B muttered, not taking his eyes off the plane. He couldn't focus right now, let alone think of a plan to help them get the gold back.

"They're loading up the gold." Pope announced as he looked through the binoculars. John B didn't hesitate to take them from Pope and use them for himself.

"There's Ward." John B said as a faint car horn was heard. John B's face dropped. He couldn't believe what he was seeing.

"What?" Atlanta questioned curiously. "John B? What?!"

"It's Sarah." John B whispered in shock.

Atlanta shook her head. No way, no way would Sarah betray them like that. She was her best friend. She loved John B, she wouldn't willingly board that plane.

"You're lying." Atlanta seethed angrily.

JJ gave her a small kiss on the top of her head in hopes that he could reassure her and make her feel better. But he knew that it wouldn't work. He knew that he couldn't make her feel better after her best friend betrayed them.

"She's with him?" Pope questioned almost in disgust. Atlanta squinted in attempt to get a closer look as she heard faint screams and yells.

"Wait a minute. He's hurting her." John B said panicked.

"What?" Atlanta questioned anxiously. She snatched the binoculars from John B to look for herself.

"They're fighting. Holy shit." John B whispered.

Atlanta watched as Ward forced Sarah onto the plane filled with the gold they had spent most of summer looking for.

"What are you doing?" Pope questioned as he turned around and saw John B getting into the van. Everyone let out yells as John B drove into the fence, ignoring everyone's shouts.

"What are you doing? What are you doing? Don't be a hero dude" JJ shouted John B drove through the fence and towards the plane.

"John B!" Atlanta shouted and attempted to run after the van, but it was no use.

Atlanta watched as John B raced against the plane. He caught up fast, which was a surprise. She watched as he pulled the van to a stop in front of the plane. Atlanta had to turn away, she could watch.

"Guys I can't get arrested." Pope said as they heard the faint sounds of the cop cars sirens.

"I'm on probation." JJ admitted shamefully, he didn't want to leave John B.

"Look we're no good if we're all in jail." Kie said, hopefully putting it into perspective.

"Come on." Pope agreed, as they all ran away.

But Atlanta stayed exactly where she was. She couldn't leave Sarah or John B. They were like her family. Sarah didn't leave her when her mother died and John B was JJ's best friend, if he couldn't stay for him, then she would.

"Atlanta, what are you doing?" JJ said running back towards Atlanta.

"It's either my dad or Peterkin. They won't arrest me." Atlanta sad determinedly as she began to walk towards John B and Sarah. JJ wrapped his arms around the girls waist as the cop car pulled up.

Atlanta watched as Peterkin attempted to arrest Ward. But, Ward broke free and reached for her gun. The brunette clung onto JJ as she heard the gun shot. Her eyes hadn't left Rafe's body he held the gun that had just shot Peterkin. Atlanta's body fell limp.

It was like her mother all over again.

⚠️TRIGGER WARNING: mentions of suicide start here, if you don't want to read please just skip over. If any of you ever need to talk about anything, I'm here for you all⚠️

"Mom, please, come down." Atlanta begged as she looked at her mom standing on the edge of the building. "Mom, please."

Atlanta couldn't help but sob, her mom was on the edge. She was going to jump. She was going to be left without a mother.

"Mommy? Please don't leave us. We're you're family."

"I'm sorry sweetie, I love you and your brother very much, I just-" Her mother began to violently sob.

"Mom, we can just go back inside to Daddy and Barney." Atlanta reached out for her mothers hand, to pull her back, but it was too late, she'd jumped.
"NOOO!" Atlanta let out a chilling scream as she watched her mom fall to her death.

Everyone hated her mother for one simple reason, she was a Pogue married to a cop. And she couldn't live with the constant isolation or the whispers about her, not any more.

Atlanta fell to the floor and covered her mouth to quieten her sobs, but it didn't work. She felt like she couldn't move, she couldn't take her eyes of the spot where she last saw her mother.

"I love you too mom."

"Attie? Atlanta!" Barnaby shouted as she ran onto the roof and over to his younger sister.

"She's gone." Atlanta sobbed into his chest. "She's dead." Barnaby let a few stray tears roll down his cheeks, he had to be strong for his sister. He had to take care of her.

Weeks after Atlanta's mother killed herself, nobody would talk to the Shoupes, not even a 'I'm sorry for your loss'. All except the Cameron's and Peterkin anyway.

Sarah had become a lot closer with Atlanta and was constantly sleeping over at her house to make sure she was okay. Most of the time, Atlanta, Sarah and Barnaby would fall asleep on the couches watching a cheesey romcom.

But no matter how many people Atlanta was surrounded by, she still felt like she was alone and incomplete. She lost her best friend. She lost her mom.