TWENTY EIGHT

━━ ☆ ★ ☆ ━━
PAWN
━━ ☆ ★ ☆ ━━

Atlanta was the first out of the van once they arrived at the Pawn shop. Before JJ and the others came to get Atlanta, Kie had melted down the gold, which clearly didn't go to plan. The brunette thought they were just joking when they said it was a clump of gold, but they weren't.

"Hell of a job melting it down, Dr Frankenstein." JJ muttered as he glanced back at Kie.

"Like you could've done any better." Kie resorted cockily.

"I could have done much better." JJ snapped back, Atlanta smiled at him. She stood next to Sarah and rested her head on the blonde girls shoulder. "I took a welding class." JJ lied.

Sarah turned her head slightly, pressing a small kiss against her temple, causing Atlanta to smile in response. Sarah felt guilty that Atlanta found out why she was no longer friends with Kie.

"When?" Kie questioned angrily, pursing her lips.

"Whoa, whoa. Chill out okay?" John B said as he pulled the two apart. Atlanta slowly made her way to JJ, who wrapped his arms around her shoulders and she tilted her head back slightly to look at him.

"Easy for you to say. You're not the one that has to pawn this our very it shit off." JJ said holding up the gold, and looked down to Atlanta. "How did we get this job anyway?"

"Cause you two are probably the best liars." Pope shrugged as JJ and Atlanta walked into the pawn shop.

Atlanta looked between JJ and the woman stood at the till. She had no clue how this was going to work out. She couldn't imagine that it was going to go well at all. Especially since everyone knew that she was the deputies daughter.

"Afternoon ma'am." JJ said as he smiled towards the woman.

"Afternoon." The woman smiled back.

"We see that you buy gold." Atlanta smiled as she leant on the cashier desk.

"That's what the sign say don't it?" The woman responded snappily, which Atlanta didn't expect.

The brunette raised her brows, wondering how legit the shop was. She wondered if one word to her father or Peterkin could get it shut down for being an illegitimate pawn shop.

"Well I sure hope you by a lot of it because me and my sister are about to blow your mind." JJ said was he placed his hand on Atlanta's shoulder.

Atlanta nearly gagged at the thought of being his sister. She had no clue why that was the story they went with, but apparently it was and she was too late to say otherwise.

The woman looked between Atlanta and JJ, they were definitely not siblings. It didn't take a genius to figure that one out.

"I ain't got much mind left to blow so have at it." She responded as JJ went into his bag and pulled out the gold.

"How about them gold apples?" JJ questioned placing the gold in front of the woman.

"That ain't real." She laughed mockingly, shaking her head at the melted down gold. She wondered if these kids took her for a fool.

"That ain't real?" JJ questioned raising his brows.

"Ma'am that gold is a real as you and me." Atlanta flashed the woman a smile.

"It can't be." The woman chuckled.

"Feel how heavy it is." JJ said as the woman struggled to pick it up. "Here let's get some light on that."

"Spray painted tungsten." The woman shook her head.

JJ insisted that she did all the tests to prove that it was real gold. First she checked how soft it was. Then she did the acid test, where JJ made a small comment about how it was his favourite compared to the others. Once the woman completed her tasks, she mentioned how it looked as if it had been melted down.

"Our mom. She had all this jewellery laying around the house, and she thought it was best to-to melt it down." JJ paused. "To 'consolidate' it."

"Seven pounds?" The woman said once she weighed the gold. "That's a lot of earrings."

"To be honest ma'am, it's been really hard for us to see our mom fall apart with Alzheimer's. My sister here cries herself to sleep every night." JJ said placing his hand on her shoulder.

"You're not suppose to tell anyone that." Atlanta glared up to JJ.

She had a feeling the woman wasn't buying their act at all, but now she had done the checks, she new that the gold was real. So, Atalanta doubted that she even needed to believe their act.

"Give me a minute." The woman said, coming out from behind the counter.

"Take your time ma'am." JJ said looking down as the woman wakes into the back.

Atlanta waited until the woman was in the back to place a quick kiss on JJ's cheek, dangerously close to his lips. "You're doing great." She whispered. JJ smiled and sent a small wink to the blonde girl.

"So, I uh, I talked to my boss." The woman said as she walked back into the room.

"And?" JJ questioned eagerly.

"And uh, this is what I can do." She said as she placed a small piece of paper in front of JJ with fifty thousand wrote on it.

Atlanta scoffed. "You're kidding."

The amount that she was giving them wasn't even half of what the gold was worth. She was sure the woman just thought they were fools looking for some quick cash.

"Fifty thousand?" JJ paused. "You think I walked in here not knowing the spot price?" JJ took a deep breath before continuing, "Ma'am I know for a fact this is worth 140 at least."

"Well sweeties, you're in a pawnshop. This ain't Zurich. Do I look Swiss to you?" The woman smirked as she looked between Atlanta and JJ.

"Ninety or we walk." Atlanta demanded as she rested her head in her hand.

"Seventy. Half price, and Umm, I don't ask questions about where you and your 'sister' got this." The woman said putting quotations over sister. "Too much chemistry between you two to be related."

JJ looked over to John B for confirmation. "I'm gonna need that in large denominations please." JJ said, Atlanta looked over to Sarah who was smiling.

"Well, here's the snag. I don't have that much denominated, not here anyway. I can write you a cashiers check."

Atlanta rolled her eyes and just pointed to the sign. JJ nodded understandingly, cash for gold. That was what they needed right now.

"Cash, no ma'am. I want the cold hard. That's what that sign says. Cash for gold. And that's what I expect. I'm gonna get it in cold hard." JJ said tapping the desk.

"Well, I have to send you to the warehouse. I have the money there. Is that alright?" The questioned curiously.

"Fine, but the golds coming with us until we have our money." Atlanta said grabbing the gold and giving the woman a suspicious look.

"Where's this warehouse?" JJ questioned.