FIFTY THREE

━━ ☆ ★ ☆ ━━
GAVIN
━━ ☆ ★ ☆ ━━

"Nice camera. Where'd you dig up that relic?" JJ questioned as Pope pulled out his camera. "Why don't you just use your phone?"

"Well, first of all, I like my antique electronics." Pope paused. "Second of all, this is a telephoto. It allows me to get a close image from far away."

JJ pulled Atlanta in front of him as they all hid behind a fence, trying to watch the interaction between Gavin and Ward. His hands gripped her waist tightly, fearful that anything could happen to them at a moments notice.

"Lord of the dorks." Kie mumbled, making Atlanta pretend to bow down at Pope.

Pope stuck his tongue out at Atlanta playfully, he liked her light hearted attitude in serious situations. It make everything seem less tense.

"For definitive proof of witness payoff, we're gonna need quality glass." Pope responded back to Kie.

"There he is." Atlanta pointed out as she saw Ward running towards the construction sight with a duffel bag, probably filled to the brim with money.

"Get down." JJ pulled Atlanta down with him, making the other two follow in pursuit. Ward looked awfully suspicious which was made much worse due to the rain pouring.

"Where are you going, you son of a bitch?" Pipe whispered to himself look across at Atlanta who looked as though she was contemplating something. "No, no, no. I'm losing him. Shit. Where's he going?"

JJ pulled away and looked around his eyes catching onto a steep ladder that lead to the roof of the building. JJ knew that for them to go up such a high building without any railing he was due to loose Atlanta's interest.

The girl was afraid of heights.

"Hey. You! I found something. Come here." JJ whistled, he made direct eye contact with Atalanta as her face faltered. The others ran after JJ following him up the ladder but Atlanta stayed drenched at the bottom.

She couldn't do it, not physically or mentally none of her had prepared herself for the height like how usually if she knew in advance she was going to the theatre at the top level she'd start to prepare herself.

It was wet and slippy, she couldn't possibly.

"I'm sorry." Atlanta shouted upwards, "I can't do it. But I have an idea."

JJ was conflicted, he knew that he should have gone back down the ladder but he wanted to prove that he trusted her and what she wanted to do.

"Where is she going?" Kiara questioned worriedly as JJ pulled Kiara's wet clothes to the edge of the wall so he could watch Atlanta as she creeped towards the bottom of the building Ward had entered.

"I'm standing here in the goddamn rain!" Ward shouted as Atlanta looked up at the derelict building, this one had stairs and a banister so she was more then happy to go up and hide behind the tarpaulin, "I gave you the money! Give-"

"You're not getting it!" Gavin argued back and Atlanta worried that someone was going to see her and so she covered herself by a large piece of plastic and continued to tiptoe quietly so that she was at the far end stood just behind Gavin as he continued to argue with Ward

Ward and Gavin went at each other, wrestling the other to the ground angrily.

"What's going on?" Kiara asked worriedly, she'd lost sight of Atlanta as she hid from everyone. Her thought process was that at least she could tell her father everything word for word if she could hear it.

"They're fighting about something." Pope respond, he had the camera so he could see the men fighting much easier he'd also seen the way that Atlanta had slid between a piece of plastic and had held her breath to stay hidden.

Suddenly Gavin was thrown towards one of the metal pipes which vibrated through Atlanta's hands, she started to panic that she'd gotten too close and that being where she was was possibly more dangerous than the height she should've conquered with the Pogue's.

"Oh my god." Gavin moaned feeling a sharp pain in his head and looking down at the rain puddle on the floor that was starting to trickle red with the blood coming from his injury. Atlanta wanted to gasp at the cut but held her breath once again.

Gavin was crying when Ward lunged for him and spun him around to take the gun out of his back pocket, he looked angry but he slowly dropped back to humanity in the rain.

"Stop crying." He almost ordered covering his own eyes, it was as if it was he that was crying. "You're fine. You're fine! Now quit crying and listen to me. You got your money. I got the gun. Go home, and you shut your mouth." His hand was on his back as he shook his head.

"I'm not going to jail, Ward." Gavin refused his whole body trembling though he wasn't sure if that was due to the rain or fright.

"Shut up. Shut up, Gavin. Go home." Ward spoke as he moved away, Atlanta was scared he was going to see her so she lowly moved herself to stand directly behind Gavin at least then he figure could have been mistaken for Gavin's shadow.

"Rafe killed a cop. I'm not going to jail for you and your psychopath son!" Gavin said strongly as he stood up and Atlanta did the same thing, there was a hole in the plastic that meant she had a view of how Wards whole body froze in shock and then spun ever so careful.

He didn't think twice before aiming the gun and shooting not once but twice.

BANG

BANG

Atlanta's ears were ringing she shook her head trying to pull away from the imagine of Gavin as he fell backwards with the shot. And then forward falling on top of Ward and kicking the gun onto the road.

Atlanta felt faint headed like all her blood had rushed from her limbs, her legs suddenly gave out and she dropped to her knees muttering something.

BANG

There was another and Atlanta knew then that Gavin was dead and she still couldn't say a word which was hard when she looked down and her own clothes were drenched in blood too.