FORTY SIX

━━ ☆ ★ ☆ ━━
FUNERAL
━━ ☆ ★ ☆ ━━

Atlanta stood beside JJ, their hands linked as they listened to the minister speak. It was Peterkin's funeral and the girl was only just holding back her tears.

"Though she has now departed let us honour her bravery and sacrifice in the line of duty." The minister spoke up, his eyes flickering around at the numerous amount of people that turned up for the Sheriff's funeral.

The brunettes eyes flickered over to the photo of Peterkin in her uniform and then over to her father. He looked like he was holding himself together,

"Through her memory, let us pursue what is just and right as we commit her body to the ground. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust."

Shoupe's eyes flickered over to his daughter and JJ, who was holding the girl tightly. His arm had wrapped around her waist, he was practically the only thing holding her up at this point.

He allowed his gaze to then drift over to where JJ was glaring, he noticed that he was looking over at the Cameron's, more specifically at Rafe Cameron.

Atlanta nuzzled closer to JJ, he leant down and pressed his lips against the top of her head, he could feel the way her tears dampened his top. But he didn't care, all he wanted to be there for her.

The second that JJ noticed the officers aiming their guns towards the sky, he covered Atlanta's ears. Although, it didn't muffle the sound completely, it certainly helped.

"We shall remember to uphold the ideas which she stood for." The minister concluded.

Campbell placed his hand on Barnaby's shoulder, giving it a light reassuring squeeze. He could see the way that Barnaby's eyes glazed over with tears. It made Campbell feel guilty that he couldn't do anything to help. That he couldn't be better for Barnaby.

"Hey, guys, I'm going to work for a bit." Shoupe spoke up, his eyes flickering between his two children. "JJ, you're welcome to go back to our house, Campbell will you keep an eye on them?"

Atlanta didn't even give her father eye contact. She hadn't spoken to him in weeks. Not since he drove John B and Sarah into the storm. Instead, she had shut him out and completely isolated him.

"Of course." Campbell nodded, placing his other hand on JJ's shoulder, noticing the way that he tended up around Shoupe.

He'd seen JJ confront Shoupe at Atlanta's house many times. He always accused him of being a bad cop or that he was being bribed by Ward's money. Shoupe had always tried to reassure JJ that ur wasn't the case, that he wanted Peterkin's killed behind bars as much as the next person.

"Pumpkin?" Shoupe motioned for him and Atlanta to take a walk, but instead she turned and faced away from him. "I'll see you back at the house."

"Barney, I'll probably stay out again tonight, so don't wait up for me." Atlanta spoke towards Barnaby, she normally went back to John B's with JJ.

JJ didn't like staying in his house, despite it being perfectly safe for him to do so since his father was now in prison. But the silence felt eerie and staying at John B's almost made him feel closer to the boy.

Atlanta looked up at JJ through her lashes, causing him to sympathetically smile at the girl and being his hand up to tuck some of her hair behind her ear.

"I brought you some flowers to put on Peterkin's grave." Campbell announced as he pulled the flowers from behind his back.

Barnaby had told him the story of his mother's funeral and how Atlanta became her mother's flower, so he wanted to make her feel happy with the amount of flowers that Peterkin was receiving.

"Thank you." Atlanta whispered, taking the bouquet from Campbell and linking her hand with JJ's as they walked towards the coffin.

She leant down and placed the flowers at the foot of the headstone that was going to be Peterkin's. Atlanta hated it. She hated funerals and she hated losing people.

JJ offered the girl a hand back up from her crouched position. His hand gripped her waist to stead her. Atlanta shuffled closer to the boy when she felt Rafe's eyes on her.

"What the fuck is he looking at?" JJ questioned, his blood was boiling. He was the reason that John B and Sarah are dead. He's the reason that Peterkin is dead. The reason that his girlfriend is suffering.

"Let's not cause a scene here." Campbell rushed over to the couple once he realised that Rafe was staring at them. He shot a glare over to Rafe, making him quickly turn and scurry away with the rest of his family.

"I hate that guy." JJ grumbled as he allowed Campbell to guide him and Atlanta back towards Barnaby's car, which Barnaby was already in.

Atlanta climbed into the back with JJ, she instantly shuffled over to him and rested her head upon his shoulder. His hand reached up to comb his fingers through her hair soothingly.

"I love you, princess." JJ whispered. "I'm so proud of you today."

To hear those words made Atlanta smile. She liked knowing that he was proud of her. She linked her hand with his and brought his hands up to her lips. Gently pressing them against his knuckles, causing a smile to form on his face.

"I love you too."