FORTY FIVE

━━ ☆ ★ ☆ ━━
P4L
━━ ☆ ★ ☆ ━━

Atlanta stood beside JJ as they carved John B's name into the tree outside of his house. Barnaby and Campbell stood back and watched carefully, hoping to be some sort of support system for the pogues when and if they needed it.

The brunette linked her with JJ's, her thumb running over his knuckles as she stared at the heart with the engraving,

'2003 - 2020
John B Routledge
P4L'

"To John B." JJ raised his flask, his jaw clenched. He hated knowing that his best friend was dead. He was gone and he wasn't coming back.

"And Sarah." Kie spoke up in a hushed whisper.

JJ took a swig from his flask before passing it too Atlanta. After the passing of John B and Sarah, the two had become closer if that was even possible. They never left one another's side.

Atlanta transferred schools so that she didn't have to be reminded of what she no longer had. Plus, this way she got to go to school with JJ, although her father didn't exactly like the idea of her not having a better education than Kildare County High School.

The brunette rarely spoke to her father anymore, especially since he didn't believe her about Rafe killing Peterkin. Instead, any anger she felt she took out on him, she refused to speak to him and rarely went home.

Most nights she stayed at John B's place with JJ, Barnaby and Campbell would stay there too to make sure that they were okay. The boys had took a gathering role to the pogues, making sure that they got out of bed, showered and ate.

Atlanta knelt down to place some flowers over the box that the pogues had just buried. She sadly smiled and looked back towards her brother, wondering if he was thinking the same thing too.

Barnaby nodded understandingly, she was John B's flower now too, not just their moms. He offered her a sympathetic smile in return. He looked up to Campbell, who was looking at JJ.

JJ didn't have anyone other than them. His dad was in prison, arrested for dealing drugs. Campbell had been trying to help JJ out as much as he could, making sure that he had enough money for food and water. That he got to his job on time.

Atlanta turned and looked at JJ, who pulled her towards a hammock and laid down on it. He allowed the brunette to laid down on top of him. Her head hurried in the crook of his neck and her fingers traced patterns on his bicep.

This was how they spent most of their nights since the loss of John B and Sarah. They sat outside of John B's house in complete silence just swinging on the hammocks until they all either fell asleep or went home.

JJ leant down and pressed his lips against the girls temple, he liked that she stayed close to him. Truthfully, he had expected her father to make her stay away from him, but instead she did the exact opposite and became closer.

"Will you come to Peterkin's funeral with me?" Atlanta whispered nervously, she pulled away from the boy to look him directly in the eyes.

She noticed the way that his brows knitted together, probably knowing that her father and the Cameron's were going to be there amongst other people, who only saw him at the murderers friend.

"You want me there?" JJ asked, his grip on the small of her back tightening, fearful that she would disappear if he let go.

"I do." She nodded, she needed his support at the funeral. Atlanta didn't feel like she could do it alone.

Sure, Barnaby and Campbell were going to be there but neither of them were JJ.

"I'll be there." JJ nodded, he would do anything for the girl without hesitation. She was his world. She stuck by him through the loss of John B, it was the very least he could do.

Atlanta smiled, she was scared that he was going to say no, she wouldn't have been mad if he did. She would have understood that he wouldn't have wanted to see Rafe.

She slowly leant down and connected their lips. It was a soft and gentle kiss, one that meant more than either of them could possibly know.

JJ allowed his lips to curl upwards as she pulled away, he brought his hand up and tucked some hair behind her ear, noticing the way that she nuzzled into his palm.

"I love you, princess." JJ whispered softly.

"I love you too." Atlanta smiled back, pressing their foreheads together and scrunching up her nose. She couldn't picture her life without JJ. She couldn't imagine now having him by her side.

The blonde boy wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her closer, his fingers tracing patterns on the small of her back, hoping that she could fall asleep and get some rest before Peterkin's funeral tomorrow.

Barnaby watched the couple carefully, they were good for one another. As horrible as it may have been to think, but he was glad that it was John B on the boat and not JJ because he truthfully didn't think that his sister could live with the loss of JJ.

"What are you thinking about?" Campbell questioned, placing his hand over Barnaby's as Patch, Atlanta's cat, curled up on his lap.

"That they're so young to be going through all this. Atlanta's lost too many people in her life, I don't want her to lose anymore." Barnaby responded, turning and looking at the boy. "I don't think she could handle it."

"She'll be okay, she's got us, JJ, Kie and Pope." Campbell attempted to reassure the worried brother. "And none of us are going anywhere."