FIFTY FOUR

━━ ☆ ★ ☆ ━━
LASIANDRA
━━ ☆ ★ ☆ ━━

The Pogue's watched as Ward ran towards the drain that the gun had fallen down in, at some point he must've accepted defeat because he disappeared and the whole group were finally able to climb down from the building.

The tape recorder smashed but no one was really bothered specifically JJ who's first thought was Atlanta, he'd expected her to have come out of the house but then again she was probably scared.

"I'm going to get Attie." JJ shouted practically running up the steps taking doubles instead of singles. Gavin's body was still there on the floor his eyes still wide, "Attie?" He shouted into the plastic until he finally saw her hair, the delicate flower sat just above her ear.

He knew it was his fault that the girl had had to witness something so cruel, he really shouldn't have put her in that predicament but there was no better options in the moment and she seemed independent enough.

"Come on, we have to go we-" JJ stopped as he pulled the plastic back and without even meaning to he let out a sob that came up through his chest, he dropped to his knees not even caring about the pain it caused them.

Atlanta's face was pale enough for him to see a reflection of himself in her cheek, she'd been crying or maybe that was the water. Her hands were helplessly trying to apply pressure to her stomach but with the blood she'd seemingly lost her pressure too.

She'd been shot.

Maybe it was the first fire, or the second, or potentially the third but Atlanta hadn't noticed until it was too late. Her whole body was cold her fingertips an awful shade of blue though as soon as she heard JJ's sob her eye parted and she smiled.

It was an eerie smile something that was definitely going to haunt the boy for the rest of his life.

"You're going to be fine." JJ lied scrambling to stop the bleed but he wasn't even ready to believe himself, "Come on let's get you up." He was speaking but he was sobbing as he was saying it.

His shaky hands continued to push her hair out of her face readjusting her flower and crying some more. How was he going to cope without her? How was he to tell anyone? What the fuck was he going to do?

"I love you." She spoke but as she did it a gargle of blood came up and out of her mouth so JJ hushed her so she didn't hurt herself anymore though he couldn't imagine the pain she must've been in, "You tell my family I love them too." She reached up to feel JJ's blond hair and he lowered his head into her chest to make it easier for her.

"I love you too, I love you so much but you're not going anywhere." He tried to assure but Atlanta could already feel herself slipping.

JJ used all his energy to pick her up bridal style trying to carry her down the wooden stairs, his arms were burning as were his cheeks from the tears that were streaming from his eyes.

"What are we-" Kiara frantically spoke as she turned at the sound of a door handle opening but she shut up instantly at the sight of Atlanta as she laid on his lap, "What happened? Oh my god." Her hands were shaking as she covered her mouth in shock.

"The hospital." JJ choked he briefly looked up at Pope who had silenced himself and found that the corner of his eyes were watering in shock.

No one spoke on the ride to the hospital, not a single word was muttered and as they pulled outside and the doctors hauled Atlanta out of JJ's arms he could barely pull his hoarse voice into a croak to tell them her name.

And that was how it came to an end, just like how all good thing must, though not a slight of positivity could have improved the Pogue's an inch there was a slight silver lining along with Atlanta's hospital admittance.

The machines ultimately meant that Barnaby and Campbell were able to hold her hand and reminisce on their childhood as if it was just like any normal day. It meant that Shoupe fully gave his all to proving that Ward was not an innocent man- it pushed him to look into the gun and get justice for his little girl.

More importantly Atlanta depending on what you believe was able to slip with her heart monitors flat lining with everyone who loved her around her, and was able to finally meet with her mother again and how they danced and laughed and hugged.

There was thousands of flowers and Peterkin was there too and suddenly all the weight that had been pressing on her chest felt weightless as if she was nothing but a feather on its soft landing.

Atlanta had been fresh she'd been happy and carefree, she'd laughed and she'd smiled, she'd loved and she'd lost and not a single person on the Outerbanks would have denied her presence around the island which was why the funeral was so unbelievably large.

People- from all over- flocked to wave goodbye to their little flower each stem and petal meaning something to each life.

A sunflower from Kiara as a sign of deep admiration.
A gerbera daisy from Pope as a symbol of innocence and joy.
Hydrangea from Barnaby for their deep understanding.
An Aster from Campbell for patience which she gave him all too much.
A bunch of Cinquefoil laid careful next to her coffin from her father for his beloved daughter.

And for JJ he'd search far and wide and he'd finally found one singular lasiandra for his-

- PRINCESS