Chapter 53

Mal'dar

Mal'dar laid on the rooftop of a skyscraper, his gaze locked onto Rose Tower. He ducked down as a police speeder sped overhead flying towards Rose Tower, several were already circling it. It was time to wait.

By the time morning came only two police speeders remained, and it had been parked beside a balcony on the ambassador's room for the entire time. Mal'dar crawled on the roof, keeping his body as low to ground as possible. He reached the edge of the skyscraper and took in the distance nodding to himself. He activated his comlink, it beeped as it tried to connect with Rimi's.

Rimi's voice came through and spoke into his helmet, "Mal'dar are you ok?"

"Yeah," said Mal'dar, "I'm getting ready to make my move, I'll send you a signal when I'm ready to be picked up".

"Ok, don't take long, and don't do anything crazy".

"If I'm not back by the end of the day leave, and crazy is required for quiet," said Mal'dar and he ended the call.

Then he activated his jetpack.

He rocketed towards the police speeder, the wind pushing against him. He was nearing the speeder, it wasn't far now. Mal'dar deactivated his jetpack. His momentum carried him forward and he fired his cable at the back police speeder. He began to plummet. The cable connected and instantly went taunt. Mal'dar came to complete stop and there was a loud pop as his arm was pulled out of its socket. Mal'dar roared in pain, "Haar'chak!" he cursed.

He swallowed his screams of pain and grasped the cable with his good arm. He clenched his teeth and tightened his muscles and he pulled himself up with his good arm. He grabbed the cable with his booted feet and swiftly pushed his arm into its socket with his good arm. Mal'dar growled with pain and grasped the cable with both hands. He moved the cable from his gauntlet to his belt and began to climb. He was nearly to the bottom of the police speeder when he slipped. He tightened his grip on the cable as he slid down it. He felt the cable burn through his gloves and slice into his hands.

Mal'dar cursed and began to climb again. He reached the bottom of the speeder and hugged himself against it, every muscle in his body throbbing with pain. Mal'dar glanced down, it was very, very, far. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply, hopefully, they wouldn't be here much longer.

The ambassador smiled at the police droids, "Is now a good time for us to leave, I have an appointment".

The two police droids nodded, "Yes, though we must insist on coming with you".

"You don't have to," said the ambassador.

"It is no trouble mam," said the police droid.

The ambassador sighed, "Ok, well my pilot will fly me to the senate building, you can follow".

"Thank you," said the police droids and they walked to their speeders.

The speeder sagged as the police droid sat in it, and Mal'dar shook himself, it was showtime. The speeder zoomed towards the hanger, and Mal'dar tightened his grip, gritting his teeth as he did.

"My speeder is lagging," commented the police droid into his com.

"Yes, take it for an inspection after this assignment," responded the other.

"Yes," said the original one.

Mal'dar sighed, it's a good thing police droids are dumb he thought.

The speeder came to a sudden halt and Mal'dar's hand covered his helmet so it didn't fly off. He heard another speeder activate and the ambassador's senator glided out of the hanger. They followed her. He glanced to see where they were going, it was a beeline for the senate building.