Chapter 65

"I am dressed up because I am not going to let you have a boring Valentine's Day at my stupid meet. You really thought we were just going home and that's it? Give me a little credit here Sydney." I roll my eyes and Matt reaches his hand out to help me up. I take it and he pulls me up, automatically pulling me to his chest.

"Lily did say you were a hopeless romantic," I tease and now it is Matt's turn to roll his eyes at me.

"Yeah yeah whatever, let's cut through the old gym. My car is parked right outside the door there." He pulls me toward the small little old gym. I have seen it once or twice, it's old mostly and filled with supplies. The football team likes to hang out in here before practice and games because there is a door to the boy's locker room. I follow him as he pushes the door open to the dark gym which oddly enough smells really good.

"It's so dark, I am scared to trip," I tell Matt trying to feel around so I don't fall over anything. I am walking in front of him but he has a pretty firm grip on my waist so I know at least if I go down he will catch me.

He lets go and I stop walking and turn around in the dark scared of getting lost. "Ok wait, let me flick the lights on, one second." I hear him walk a little before he flicks the light switch. Instead of gym equipment all over the room there are fairy lights and rose petals. I turn away from Matt and take in the entire room decorated like a scene right out of a movie.

I walk to the middle of the room taking everything in as Matt stands a little to my left letting me process. "You. . . you did all this?"

"I had help," he says while reaching out for my hand. I grab his hand and move toward him, the soft lights reflecting in his beautiful hazel eyes. We stand silently in front of each other for a minute just enjoying the silence.

I finally look up at him and realize he has been watching me this entire time. "Why? We both agreed Valentine's Day is a stupid holiday."

"Because the season is over."

"Well regular season yeah, but you still have States and Nationals," I point out like he forgot. I feel like he keeps saying that but I don't get what he means.

"Barbie just shut up before I throw your desk out a window."

"I'll probably live though, there is a bush under the second floor window." We both laugh as we flash back to the first day we hung out.

Flashback (From Chapter 13)

"If we don't both get 100s tomorrow I am throwing your desk out the window."

"What! Why my desk? Also with me in it?" I crawl to the edge of the bed and look at him in horror.

"Probably with you in it. You should live though; there are bushes under the second floor windows." He rolls over and sits up so we are eye level.

"What a gentleman."

End Flashback

"That seems so long ago," he remarks, smiling fondly at the memory. "Remember our first kiss? God, I thought I had literally died and went to heaven that day."

"It was pretty epic when it comes to first kisses." I think about that roller coaster of a day literally just hours after being the first person Matt ever told about his mom, my mind still reeling for telling me I was worth letting in, and standing in the middle of his room with him in nothing but a towel.

Flashback (From Chapter 27)

I walk into the bedroom and slam into something hard and wet. I yelp as Matt grabs my upper arms, my hands gripping his wet chest.