9.16.8

Ahsoka went to the radar console, trying to figure out anything about the incoming ship. "It's a Republic shuttle with a Kaminoin identification signal. It's probably clones."

"And if they were tracking our shuttle, they already know there are Jedi here," Anakin reasoned. "They'll probably shoot first and ask questions never."

"They have orders to shoot down Jedi, not clones," Rex argued, walking up to the generals. "Let us go out there and try to talk them down."

Shaking his head, Obi-Wan told him, "They'll assume you're with us. Whatever chance you have at escaping this is lost if you show your faces."

Standing up behind his commander, Jesse insisted, "We've already made our choice. We'll keep them busy as long as you can and give you a chance to sneak up behind them."

"We don't have another option," reminded Ahsoka. "This shuttle model is weaponized. If we try to get to our ships and escape, they'll shoot us down and then we're all dead. Our best chance is to detain them on the ground before they can hurt any of us."

"Go," Anakin ordered, "and set your weapons to stun. Enough people have died today."

The troopers dropped the supplies they were carrying and grabbed their weapons and helmets, running back to the stairs they had taken to get to the command center. This left Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Ahsoka in the room.

Obi-Wan still didn't look completely on board. "Maybe the majority will survive, but there's a greater chance for them to be killed individually if they try to protect us."

"That's not the point," Ahsoka argued, shaking her head. "I've already tried to talk them out of this, I suggested on the way here that they split up with me and head back to Coruscant. Rex, at least, isn't having it. This way, we can intervene before anything happens to them."

"Not from here, we can't," reminded Anakin, looking to the window. "Come on, I'm pretty sure there's a ledge we can wait for them on."

From there, they could see the ledge Anakin was talking about. It was about ten feet below the edge of the landing platform and mostly hidden from view. The incoming clones wouldn't see it flying in, and no one on the platform would see it either. 

The three of them jumped to the ledge, hiding as much as they could under the platform edge. Anakin was standing in between the other two, waiting for the third shuttle to land. Of course, this was an opportune moment to make a sarcastic comment.

"It's certainly been a while since we've all been in this type of situation," Obi-Wan remarked. "We have half a plan, twelve allies, and one chance to get this right."

"Half a plan is being generous," Ahsoka corrected, raising an eyemark. "After this, we need to find somewhere new to hide. If we're not going to kill these clones, then Xlenia is compromised."

"I have an idea for the three of us," suggested Anakin, looking to both of them, "but if the troopers are going to fight, then it might be time to convince Rex to split up. We're too big a group to stay together for long."

Snorting, Ahsoka told him, "Good luck with that."

Honestly, Anakin agreed, but he insisted, "We don't have a choice. Rex knows what we're dealing with. We can regroup later, but we've got to put some distance between us for the time being."

"Well, at least we'll have one last mission with them," Obi-Wan decided, pointing up onto the platform. "They're in position, and the shuttle is getting closer."

The engines in the distance were indeed getting louder, but despite the incoming clones, Anakin wasn't afraid. He had Obi-Wan on his right and Ahsoka on his left. Despite how long it had been since the three of them had fought together, on the same side, this is where he felt most at ease.