9.11.4

It wasn't long before dinner was done. No one except Ahsoka actually knew what it was, but they didn't bother to ask because it smelled and tasted amazing. At least, it was better than cruiser food. They scarfed it down in less than half an hour, and even though they said they couldn't eat another bite, Ahsoka had a feeling that if she had more, they could have.

After stitches, a shower, and some actual food, Obi-Wan was feeling a lot better. Walking was still a struggle, but from the look on his face otherwise, you wouldn't have guessed it. After dinner was cleaned up, Rex pulled one of the stools from the counter to the front room while Anakin helped Obi-Wan over to the couch again. Ahsoka opted to curl up on the recliner.

"I am never eating cruiser food again," Rex groaned, closing his eyes. 

"Good luck with that," teased Obi-Wan, raising an eyebrow. "You're not going to find anything like that in the mess halls."

Anakin shrugged, stretching his arms across the back of the couch. "I mean...if we don't leave..."

Raising her arms, Ahsoka offered, "Hey, I'm not going to stop you from leaving. I'm just pretty sure someone up on the surface isn't going to appreciate your absence."

"Not to mention none of us have jobs," Obi-Wan added. "I'm not sure we could contribute much to the task force below the surface."

"Unless you want to go the bounty hunter route, not really," Ahsoka admitted, making a face. "Seeing as you just got attacked by a few, I'm not sure that's in your best interest."

Obi-Wan leaned back on the couch, closing his eyes and relaxing. He took a moment to just breath, and listen to the various appliances running throughout the building. Other than that and the breathing of the others, though, there weren't any noises to disturb him, and even those noises were calming at the moment. There were no blaster shots ringing out, no armor plates bouncing off each other, no lightsabers humming. Nothing that would set off his defenses was present, despite being so deep in the Lower Levels. In the heart of struggle and need, he found peace. 

"Thank you," he said suddenly, turning to Ahsoka, "for taking us in. I don't think I've said that yet."

Ahsoka smiled warmly, just glad to be with all three of them again. "You're welcome. Although you didn't need to get hurt in order to come."

Obi-Wan laughed softly, but he shook his head. "It's more than that. I don't remember when's the last I rested...like this." He made eye contact with her. "That's why you've stayed here. You found peace, didn't you?"

Chuckling, but quietly, Rex mentioned, "It's not exactly a peaceful place. I have to admit, I'm impressed."

"It wasn't when I got here, but it's become what I've helped to make it. I'm not taking down Separatists anymore, but I'm protecting the peace I've found here." A fond look covered her face.  "It's not in the streets or the business, or in alleys. It's in places where people stay, where they feel safe. It's where people protect each other."

"So you find it wherever you go?" Anakin suggested, grinning. "It's why your neighbors have been coming to you for help, isn't it?"

Ahsoka drew her knees to her chest, thinking. "I don't feel like a safe person, even now, but my coworkers trust me, and it helps me believe I can be who they think I am."

A few memories flashed through Rex's head as he replied. "You were in the military, 'safe' isn't exactly your style."

"That's not what you're talking about though, is it?" Obi-Wan asked, sitting upright. He stared her down, and Ahsoka realized what he was referring to. "Not since you've made another 'friend', the one from Barriss's escape."