9.2.2

After the evening meal, Ahsoka and the Padawans took the Younglings downstairs to bathe. It was difficult, but they managed to develop a system. It was almost like an assembly line, but instead of making machines, they were washing people. After an hour of nonstop work, everyone was finally clean.

The Younglings went to sleep at sundown, but the Padawans normally stayed up later to finish their studies or meditate. After putting the Younglings to sleep, they all decided to walk to the main training room to relax.

O-Mer, Jinx, Caleb, and Ahsoka all began walking down in a group, and Ahsoka finally began to talk a little bit more specifically about her life underground.

"Is it as dangerous as they say?" O-Mer asked. "Master Plo always warns me to be careful before I go down for a mission."

Ahsoka smirked. "Any Jedi will tell you to be careful in the Lower Levels. You aren't always received kindly amongst residents."

Jinx cocked his head. "Then how did you live down there? Doesn't everyone know about your trial?"

"They've forgotten. Besides, they're more concerned about the fact that I can fix their ships."

"So you work as a mechanic?" O-Mer asked. "Like some of the clones on the cruisers?"

She nearly laughed. "Sort of, but I actually get paid to do it. The clones don't really have a choice in the matter."

O-Mer snorted. "Fair point."

Jinx crossed his arms as he walked. "It is still a little...weird..to feel you like this. Your Force signature really stands out here."

O-Mer nodded in agreement. "Not in a bad way, just..."

"Unfamiliar?" Ahsoka suggested, understanding that it probably did feel a little bit Dark. She knew they would never admit it in the Temple, though.

"That's probably the best word for it," Jinx affirmed. "It's really mature, too. Kind of dangerous actually. If I was a bounty hunter or something, I would be a little scared of you now."

Ahsoka laughed with the two of them, but she heard Caleb walk away from the group and down the hall, to one of the small training rooms. They didn't stop walking, but all of them noticed.

When they thought he was out of earshot, O-Mer lowered his voice and commented, "He's been really shaken without Master Billaba. When you weren't here yet, he was taking charge and he seemed fine, but now..."

"He's worried," Jinx explained. "We all are, but him especially. Maybe you should talk to him, Ahsoka. Alone, probably."

She agreed with them, but she had a feeling that wasn't the only thing bothering Caleb. "You guys go on. I'll speak with you later, I promise."

The two men turned and kept going to the main training hall, while Ahsoka followed him around corners and through hallways. When she caught up with him, he was sitting down, leaning against the wall in a quiet hallway. Silently, she sat next to him, and they stared out the window for a few moments.

"Why did you go?" Caleb asked quietly, not looking at her.

Ahsoka could have given him the obvious answer, but she knew that wasn't the one he was looking for. He deserves a real explanation, she thought, so she thought back to when she left and, for the very first time in over a year, began to talk to him.

"After my trial, I...I was so confused, so hurt. I had thought that I could trust the people around me, but Barriss had framed me, the Council had expelled me, and the Republic tried to execute me. I couldn't trust them, not after that. They, the Council, tried to ask me back, but I said no."