9.7.3

Ahsoka was almost surprised that Padmé had a medical wing in her family's house. Almost. Really, she shouldn't have been at all, but with a baby (or as Ahsoka now knew, babies) on the way, it was probably convenient for Padmé. She wondered if Anakin had suggested it since he couldn't be here for most of the maternity period. It probably eased his panic, at least a little bit.

The doctor had everything primed and ready when Ahsoka and Padmé walked in. After settling her onto the medical bed, the nurse began rubbing a dark lather on her stomach, while the doctor spoke with Ahsoka. "Have you ever seen an ultrasound before?"

When she shook her head, the doctor smiled. "Here, I can show you. Don't worry, it's perfectly safe."

As it turned out, it was rather interesting too. The machine used sound waves to create an image of the patient. The densest materials would show up white on the screen, and the least dense materials wouldn't reflect much of the sound, so not much would show up.

Ahsoka stepped back from Padmé so they could begin the imaging, but she could barely keep a grin off her face. She couldn't wait to see Padmé's reaction to twins. She looked over at Ahsoka, smiling and almost fidgeting in excitement, holding still only because she had to.

Padmé couldn't see the screen lying down, but Ahsoka, the doctor, and the nurse could. The nurse hid his face so no one could see him smirk, and the doctor looked over at the Togruta, the corners of her mouth curling up. Ahsoka just stared at the feed from the ultrasound.

The imaging reminded Ahsoka of what she saw when she used the Force, but her second sight observed more of the spiritual rather than the physical. She was seeing the twins' actual bodies, mid-development. It was hard to believe that that was inside Padmé, but it was so incredible too.

Turning to Padmé, the doctor asked, "Are you ready to see?" She eagerly nodded yes, and the doctor motioned to Ahsoka. "Do you mind turning the screen?"

Ahsoka obliged, and gently rotated the monitor about its hinge. She immediately looked to Padmé, who's excitement turned into confusion very quickly. When she realized what she was looking at, her jaw dropped, and she snapped her head in the direction of the professionals.

"Is...is that..?"

The nurse answered. "It turns out, twins are on the way. I don't suppose you knew?" he questioned Ahsoka, who couldn't hide the truth.

When Padmé saw her grin and nod, she nearly screeched, "YOU KNEW?!?" Ahsoka just laughed, quite enjoying her shock.

"I felt both of the babies earlier, but I figured you would find out soon enough anyway so I didn't say anything," she explained, moving so she could see the screen too. "If this is your reaction, though, I can't wait to see how their father will take it." She censored Anakin's name, just in case the medical staff didn't know who it was, but Padmé waved her off.

"They know, Ahsoka," she assured her, "but you're right. Anakin's already been stressed enough about one child. When he hears there will be two...."

Ahsoka took her hand and sat on the edge of her bed. "Don't worry, I'll do everything I can to keep him in one piece," she promised, and Padmé laughed, relaxing. "I'll let you break the news, though. It should come from you, not me."

The senator rested her head back on the pillows. "Fair enough. You've got a point."

Retrieving a few medical tools, the doctor mentioned, "I would like to perform some tests at this time, to make sure the twins are healthy. However, I'm going to need you to step out of the room, miss."

Ahsoka squeezed Padme's hand and walked out to the waiting area, taking a seat on a bench across the hall. After a moment of stillness, she decided to reach out and feel for the twins again.