9.8.3

Where street lamps had long since burnt out and buildings looked abandoned, one could usually find a low life joint still doing business. Compared to its surroundings, these places didn't look so bad, but the Department of Health would have said otherwise. Safety hazards were everywhere, and the people who ventured there were hazards of their own. The owners didn't necessarily like the neighborhood, but they liked the money they were making so they tolerated it, to a degree.

The government was too scared to even try to find people hiding out there, and convicts knew it. If the feds caught wind that a criminal had escaped to the lowest of levels, then they gave up. If it was really important, they would send a Jedi, but that was rare. The only problem was that bounty hunters weren't as scared as their clients, so it was usually best to keep one's head down. You never knew who was keeping an eye out for you.

Unfortunately, this was the best option for Barriss Offee. She could keep ahead of the usual bounty hunter, and out of reach of the Jedi and the Republic. Always moving, from one sector to another, never staying in one place for too long. Snatch a few credits here and there, just enough to buy food and drink for a few days. Most people wouldn't miss them anyway.

She hated how low she had fallen, how she had reduced to stealing in order to survive. It went against everything she stood for but no one would hire a criminal, especially not one with such a high bounty on her head. People like her who escaped the death sentence were not thought of well. Barriss had a few fail-safes hidden away on her belt, but the more often people saw twin red lightsabers, the more attention she attracted.

A man who had just gotten his drink sat down across from Barriss, uninvited. She was ready to Force choke them and make a quick escape, but she did recognize him against all odds. Then again, Cad Bane was hard to misplace. "What's a little lady like you doin' down here?" He asked, but Barriss looked away, clenching her fist. It wasn't often she ran across people who could give her information.

"Just stopped for a drink," she answered curtly. "Who are you looking for this time?"

"What makes you think I'm lookin' for anyone?" He asked, offended. Chugging down half his drink, he looked around for a minute then whispered, "For once, I'm the one lookin' over my shoulder."

That was news to Barriss. Bounty hunters went after each other all the time, but this seemed different. She wanted him to keep talking, so she prodded. "You're only going to look more suspicious if you do. Keep that hat over your face and mind your business, if you're so worried."

He laughed, almost mocking her. "Seems like you know what you're doin', but it's not that simple. Someone else seems to think that my business is their business, too, if ya know what I mean."

Barriss didn't answer, prompting him to continue. "Dooku is out for recruits. Anyone who's made a name for themselves is on his list, and he's sending out folks to find bring them in."

"Made a name for themself how?" Barriss asked, keeping her voice even. Was she on Dooku's list?

"If you can put one over the Republic or the Jedi, word has it," Cad Bane answered. "People have already started disappearin'. Some of 'em turn up at the Detention Center, others haven't been seen since."

It made sense to Barriss. If Dooku's recruits didn't cooperate, they were turned in to the Republic, and Dooku gathered the bounty. It was a win-win for him.

"I'm done with the Separatists, though," he went on, not paying Barriss much attention. "I've done too many jobs that have fallen through. I'm making more money on my own than I ever did working for him."

She glanced down at his glass, which was now empty. Despite that, Bane didn't seem to be making any effort to leave. "Then what are you here for?"

He smirked at her, even though she still didn't let him see her full face. "Business, little lady. I heard you were lookin' for a girl."

It was true. Barriss had left a message with a few people in the area looking for someone she hadn't seen for over a year.

"Describe her," she demanded, reaching into a little pouch she kept on her waist. She hadn't offered to pay much for this intel, but she had what she promised.

"Togruta, orange skin, and blue lekku," Bane listed off. "A teenager, but on the older side. Likes to get into trouble every once in a while. I even have a name," he said, grinning. "Ahsoka Tano."

It fit the description, but she still needed a location. "That's half of what I need."

He pulled a piece of paper out of a sleeve and slid it across the table at her. "I tracked her down to these two buildings. The first one is her house, the second is where she works. She works five days a week and takes the early hours. Now give me my money."

Barriss gave him the payment in full, memorizing the two locations. It had taken months and more than a few false promises, but this was the one, she could feel it.

"Here's what I want to know," Bane went on, not moving from his seat. "Why are you lookin' for her? I've met this lady a few times, we nearly killed each other before. She's a sympathizer, even if she's not one of them."

"That's not your business," Barriss insisted. "I paid you to find her, not for your opinion about her." She stood up to leave, but Bane followed her out.

Right as she was at the door, he pulled at her arm and warned her one last time. "I've heard stories about that girl, and not good ones. No one's been able to land a hit on her, and she's already sent entire gangs to jail. What makes you think she'll listen to you?"

For the first time, she made eye contact with the bounty hunter. She rested a hand on the arm that was holding her back, and she let him panic for a second when he realized who he was speaking to. Then she sent the Force into his arm, shocking the bones inside. They broke within seconds.

Cad Bane yelled out in pain, but no one in the joint was phased. It just blended into the background music, and Barriss walked out alone. That was his warning. If he knew what was best for him, he wouldn't follow her. 

Ahsoka could see reason, that was why she left the Order. Barriss would find her and explain everything. It would be so good to see her again. If anyone would listen to her, it was Ahsoka.