9.14.4

In the throne room, which Bo-Katan had successfully taken with her fellow Mandalorians, she, Ahsoka, and Rex gave Obi-Wan a progress report. Well, Bo-Katan was. Rex and Ahsoka hadn't said much yet. "There are a small number of firefights still happening in sector eleven, but for the most part, your clones have been as effective as promised. Still, without Maul in custody, this could all fall apart quickly. We must capture him before he escapes."

"Any sign of Barriss?" Obi-Wan asked Ahsoka, who shook her head.

"According to Ursa, Barriss isn't even in Sundari. She may not even be on Mandalore," Ahsoka predicted, crossing her arms. "He mentioned Darth Tyrannus, indirectly."

This troubled Obi-Wan, but Bo-Katan didn't recognize the name. "Who is this Tyrannus?"

The Jedi Master thought for a moment before speaking. "I would tell you, but I believe Ahsoka is better suited to do so."

Should we be offended? The Sister asked jokingly as Bo-Katan turned to Ahsoka. Not bothering to respond to her alter ego, she explained: "He is better known as Count Dooku, the apprentice of Darth Sideous. His master is the one who orchestrated the Clone War and played both sides to his advantage until he was killed almost eight months ago. Tyrannus, or Dooku, now leads the Separatist Alliance in his master's absence."

Rex turned the projection of Sundari off and dismissed the droid providing it. Obi-Wan stroked his beard before responding. "If you can capture Maul, he may be able to provide information about Dooku's whereabouts."

"Then send me more men," Ahsoka asked, knowing that even in the short hours since her troop had landed on Mandalore, they had suffered losses.

"Unfortunately, I cannot," Obi-Wan confessed. "I'm being sent to hunt down General Grievous on Utapau."

Ahsoka didn't object to this, she understood the significance of his mission. Having worked with Grievous as the Inquisitor, she knew his tactical value. "What about Anakin? Maybe he can reinforce us?"

His answer did not come quickly. In fact, he looked uneasy as he addressed Rex and Bo-Katan. "May I speak to Ahsoka alone for a moment?"

This request didn't exactly put the group at ease, but silently they left the meeting, Bo-Katan with an unimpressed look and Rex with a concerned one. Ahsoka wasn't sure what was so sensitive about Anakin that required privacy, but she remained quiet and waited for Obi-Wan to speak. 

When he was sure that the other two were out of earshot, he explained. "Anakin is on special assignment from the Jedi Council."

"What kind of assignment?" she asked, not entirely trusting the motive of this move.

"He's been grounded on Coruscant. Anakin is not to leave the Senate Building unless to report back to the Jedi Temple. To be specific, he is guarding the Chancellor," Obi-Wan told her.

Ahsoka uncrossed her arms and narrowed her eyes. "This isn't some sort of punishment for sending Rex with me, is it?"

He held a hand up to calm her, not wanting to get the wrong idea across. "No, it's not like that at all." Obi-Wan sighed, realizing he was going to have to divulge information to get her to understand. "The Council is concerned for Chancellor Kanai's safety. They believe another attack on her life is imminent, and we are too shorthanded at the moment to protect her ourselves."

"Shorthanded?" Ahsoka asked, confused. "What do you mean? I thought it was protocol to not leave Coruscant without a Jedi Master while the Clone War lasted."

"It was, and still is," he confirmed, bracing himself to say the dreaded words. "But at the moment, there are not enough Jedi Masters to go around. A third of our Council is dead."