Constellations - Nightkiller

Type: Fluff
Ship: Nightkiller (Killer x Nightmare)
Third person
Not requested I just got bored -_-
----

Nightmare sat on the roof of the Mansion, watching the stars with a blank expression. He'd always loved the stars, even during the days before his corruption. He'd learned to recognize all the constellations he could, as it was something to do when he was bored. His particular favorite was Cassiopeia, the goddess banished to the stars for her vanity. He'd come to the roof often, almost every night, just to think. Just to take his mind away from the stress of everyday life. Nightmare felt that being as close to the stars as possible was a great distraction from everything. The stars were eternal. They would always be there, even when he wasn't. Sure, stars die, but new stars are eventually born from the things they leave behind. It was something to think about. It made him feel small, knowing how tiny and insignificant this universe was compared to the grand scheme of the Ultraverse.

His Multiverse seemed like nothing compared to the billions of others. What's one more or one less in a billion? But then he remembered the Apples. He'd thought the same thing with them. One less golden apple wouldn't make a difference, right? Wrong... one small mistake, everything changed forever. Nightmare sighed. It was getting colder as the last rays of sun disappeared over the horizon. He knew he'd probably have to go inside soon, but he didn't want to go just yet. The wind was calm that night, though still very cold. Nightmare turned to look behind himself as footsteps started toward him. It was Killer, holding a blanket and a cup of coffee. Nightmare acknowledged his presence with a nod and turned away as Killer sat next to him and put the blanket around his shoulders.

"Here you are," Killer commented. "I've been looking for you for a while, we were starting to get worried. It's freezing out here." Nightmare shrugged and muttered an apology.

Killer fell silent as the two stared up at the stars. About five minutes of silence passed, while the sounds of the night began to start their choir. The absence of clouds made all of the night sky visible, allowing all of the star's wonders to be shown. Nightmare smiled for the first time in a long while. He hadn't had the chance to identify the star's art for a long time. Without thinking, he pointed up at the first on he saw; Orion.

"See that? That star formation?" Nightmare muttered.

Killer looked up. "...No? They're just stars, y'know, scattered." He sips his coffee.

"No, the brightest ones, the ones that form the shape of a man with a bow."

Killer stared at him, confused, then looked back up at the sky and squinted. "Ehh... I think I see it, that one? There?" He said, pointing skyward. Nightmare shook his head.

"No, farther up." Nightmare took Killer's outstretched arm and adjusted it, pointing him upward slightly. Killer squinted once again.

"Oh.. I think I see it, yeah..." Killer muttered under his breath. Nightmare grinned and looked back up at the sky.

"That one's called Orion; named after the hunter from Ancient Greek myths." Nightmare commented. "... um... sorry, I just don't know what else to talk about."

Killer looked over at him. "Are there any more constellations? Well, ones we can see right now, anyway." He says, curious. Nightmare glanced at him.

"Well... yeah, of course..." He scans the night sky, searching. "Ah! There, Cassiopeia." He points at another group of stars. Killer scoots over to him and follows his gaze.

"... it kinda just looks like a lump of stars." Killer says blankly. "Are you sure that's it?"

Nightmare almost laughs. "Of course it's the right one, you just don't know what to look for in it. It's supposed to look like a lady tied to a chair. Named after Cassiopeia, a goddess who was sent to the stars for eternity because of her arrogance." Killer stares at it for a moment and sips his coffee.

"Hm... okay, I think I see it, but a 'Lady Tied to a Chair' is a bit of a stretch." Nightmare shrugs.

"That's fair."

"How do you know all of this?" Killer asks, suddenly intrigued. Nightmare hesitates.

"I... I spend most of my spare time studying astrology. I find it like a stress-relief method." Nightmare shrugs.

"Stress-relief? Are we really that hazardous? Hah--" Killer laughed, but was stopped short as Nightmare sent him a look that said 'Yes. Yes you are, and you have no idea. Pathetic.'

"Well... we should probably head inside soon." Nightmare sighed. Killer nodded slowly. The smell of Killer's coffee was really getting on Nightmare's nerves, as he was now annoyed he didn't have any. So, instead of getting up, he looked over at Killer and said;

"Can I have some of that coffee? I don't want to get up and I'm tired as hell." Killer shrugged and handed it him. "Thanks..."

Nightmare sipped the coffee and he felt a weight on his shoulder. He looked down and saw Killer resting his skull there. Nightmare didn't mind. He put his free arm around Killer's shoulder and pulled the blanket around both of them, and the two stared up at the sky, silent. It was nice, the silence, the warmth of each other in the cold of the night, the beauty of the stars above them. They knew they'd have to head inside eventually, but the moment was wonderful and they didn't want to waste it. Why waste a moment like this? These kinds of things didn't happen often for them, so they might as well enjoy it while they can. Sharing the coffee and warmth, watching the night sky, being in an embrace. All of these were new, but welcome. Everything was good, at least for the time being. Times like these are what you remember when things get hard. They didn't have many of these moments, and they were thankful that, even if it was unexpected, it was with each other.

----

Word count: 1023
Yeeeee shiiiiipp I n h a l e