Everything falls apart - Precursor

I return.
Ship: You'll find out in the next part :))
Type: Angst
Third person
Not requested. I finally decided to get my shit together and write something.
Note: This oneshot takes place in Empireverse, where Dream and Nightmare are the leaders of two warring kingdoms. Look it up for more information
Trigger warning: Character death, Fire, War-ish subjects
Enjoy ❤️
_____

The screams of panic and terror echoed through the plains, fire burning high on the sun-bleached grass. People ran about, screaming and trying to avoid the fire spreading amongst the capital's outermost towns. The dead of night masked the smoke, though the fire burned tall and proud, standing against the night. Galloping hooves clamp amongst the fleeing civilians, their riders holding torches and bloodied swords, burning everything in their path as they charged toward the capital. Their coming was told far before they arrived, the fires in the distance foretold their approach. The city was being evacuated, quick battalions forming as panicking people bustled by. The soldiers stood proud and undaunted, though they knew this would likely be the night they died.

The Emperor, too, was fleeing. He was being escorted to a common-looking carriage with a single horse and coachman, without any guards. It would look more suspicious if there were guards, and besides, they'd be needed to fend off the attackers.

"Dream!" Ink called, running up to the side of the carriage. "I brought you your bow. Be safe, don't get caught. We can fend them off."

The Emperor looked down at his advisor with sad eyes. "Thank you. I doubt it'll do much if they catch up to me though. Why can't I stay behind and help?"

Ink stared him in the eyes with a serious expression. "You know exactly why. If they get ahold of you, not only will they kill you, they'd probably make a show of your execution. And you don't have a hier, the kingdom would be lost without you. So just run, it's not a bad thing. It's the safest place for you to be. Now get out of here, they'll be here soon, and you need as big of a head start as you can get."

Dream sighed, he knew it was true. "Then why can't you come with me? They'll kill you too, and you're just as important!"

Ink didn't answer. Instead he pushed the bow and a quiver of arrows into Dream's hands and closed the carriage door behind him.

"Time to go?" Blue, the coachman, asked. Ink nodded solemnly. "Alright. You know where our hideout destination is, right?"

"Yes. We'll come get you when it's safe. Now go, and hurry." Ink snapped. Blue nodded in response, and the two took off into the night.

Ink watched them go, worry beginning to course though his veins. Now that his main responsibility, keeping Dream safe, was taken care of for the most part, it was time to help prepare for a deciding battle in turning the tides of war. Sighing, he grabbed his sword, and ran off to join the others.

Soon the stone city tile gave way to dirt road, and then to bumpy forest path. Thumping hooves and the sounds of the forest were the only noise, and even the forest was quiet under the stars tonight. The air smelled of smoke, but further on into the forest they pushed. Dream sat at the window of the carriage, for once not wearing his white attire. It would be too visible for the enemy. Instead, a dark green cloak and common clothes took it's place. A satchel hung at his side, in which held his circlet. He was watching the trees as they marched into the heart of the woods.

Though even as their pace slowed, the thump of hooves echoed in the distance. But that couldn't be, there weren't any other horses near.