Broken Worlds - Afterdeath

Type: Angst
Third person
Trigger warning: Suicide and mentions of Self-Harm, as well as a bucket or two of feels.
----

It was a dark winter morning. The world seemed quiet, as if the rumors hung in the air as physical objects, rather then hushed whispers shared between the other students now and then. Reaper didn't believe the rumors, winter break had only just ended, and the mere thought of it scared him to.. well, death. Most everyone was silent, which was strange, as the halls were usually loud with laughter and footsteps at this time. Nobody laughed now. Everyone went about their business silently, and it put a strange, unnerving energy into the air around them. Reaper walked quickly, as he always did, trying to ignore the worried faces that occasionally glanced at him. He did spot his, well, more or less 'friends' then, Dream and Nightmare, comforting each other. Nightmare was crying. He never cried. It wasn't a good sign, at the least. If the rumors were true, it would've released immense amounts of negative energy... energy Nightmare could sense. Reaper kept walking, slowly realizing that the rumors might really be true. Shaking the thought from his mind, he opened his locker and grabbed his stuff before slamming it closed and nearly sprinting to class. The last of the remaining students filed into the classroom as the announcements started up on the intercom.

"Good morning, Underhigh, today is January 9th, 2xxx." The person talking didn't sound as happy as they normally did. "We have some... news. Our school's counselor will be taking the microphone." Some quiet shuffling could be heard through the speaker. A new voice spoke up. A sad voice. A voice that had been crying.

"Hello, students. I'm sure you've all heard the rumors circulating around the hallways by now, and I'm here to, sadly, confirm those worries."

...

What? This can't be happening...

"A few days ago, on January 5th, the last day of winter break, Mister Genocide After was found dead in his room, holding a suicide note."

No... no, no no...

"His family has not released the cause of death to the public, and we will be holding an all-school memorial assembly this Friday at noon..."

Reaper wasn't listening. His entire world just shattered. He didn't need to hear anything else. The only person he had ever loved in his whole life was dead. Gone. Forever. He didn't care that people saw him crying anymore. He felt a hand on his back and he ignored it. Someone was trying to talk to him, but he was in too deep. The muffled sound of the speakers occasionally drifted through his mind.

".... if you ever feel this way.... friends and family.... early release from classes.... gained possession of the note.... office..."

Note. Office.

Reaper bolted from his chair and sprinted down the hallway, toward the front desk of the building. He burst into the room, a sobbing mess. He felt a pair of hands on his shoulders as one of the staff tried to ask what the problem was. What's the problem? What's the problem?! He'd nearly slapped them when they asked that. All he managed to say was; "Note."

Luckily, that seemed to work. Another one of the staff, standing nearby, wiped the tears from his eye sockets.

"Is your name Reaper Death, honey?" They'd asked. It barely registered to him what they were asking. He nodded. He was given a sympathetic look from most everyone in the room. Then he was handed a laminated piece of paper. It had red stains on it. "Its... Its addressed to you, dear."

He could barely read it through the tears pouring down his face, but the message was clear enough.

"Reaper, the one who got me to laugh when I was crying, every time.

I'm sorry. I'm sorry for burdening you. Im sorry for all the times I said I hated you. Im sorry for telling you I was fine when I wasn't. I'm sorry for giving you false hope. I'm sorry for crying all the time. I'm sorry for not telling you the truth. I'm sorry that it's come to this, but it's over now. At least, it is for me. It's not quite over for you. This may be my time, but it isn't yours. Tell me you'll wait for that time, please. You have an entire life ahead of you! I'm just a waste of space. Don't waste your time on missing me, don't blame yourself, cause even after all of this, I still love you. Know that if there is anything for us, I'll be waiting.

I know I'd always be welcome in your dreams, and I appreciate that. Please, don't follow me, though. I can wait for you. I can wait for hundreds of years, if I have to, I just want you to live your life happily, even without me. I still love you, with everything thats left of my being. I want you to be happy... please... don't forget me... okay?...

It's not goodbye. Just... "See you later"... right?"

...Right...

----
Word count: 854
Aaahh it's 1:34 in the morning and I'm tired as fuck but thought of this and wanted to write it before I lost motivation. Sorry for all the angst, maybe something is wrong with me-